Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Term Lv In 2 Weeks! Requesting Help For Filing Initial Claim [long Post Warning}

Rate this question

MDB1968NM

Question

Hi Folks,

I will TRY to cut to the chase as I spend more time talking with doctors now than I do with my family.

BLUF:  I will be on Terminal Leave starting in 2 weeks...12 Feb is my last day on Active Duty (terminal leave starts then).  My retirement date is 31 May.  I will be applying for the BDD (benefits delivery at discharge) program here within the next month.

Let me first state that this is going to be a LONG post....a bit embarrassing for me at times but I am looking for assistance here.  You all have been SOOOO helpful in research and support and I am here asking for some more of your time.

I have probably SCREWED up according to many people including my flight surgeon by NOT pursuing MEB/PEB actions.  I want to state up front...this has been MY CHOICE 110%.  When I entered the military, I wanted to serve my country and I entered into service:"that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, so help me God."  The reason I did not want to pursue such actions (MEB/PEB) is because I came into the service on my own terms AND want to leave this way as well.

So now that you know my rationale for my decisions, here is a disjointed summary (I am unloading a bunch so if it is too much just ignore it):

I underwent 6 knee surgeries on my knee due to an ACL blowout in 1990 while on Active Duty.  I have had multiple revisions to that and this ultimately ended up in a total knee replacement 7 months ago.  Three years ago I was in an aircraft severe turbulence incident that knocked a molar loose and separated both of my shoulders.  After a year and a half of sucking it up/complaining/trying to remain on flying status I finally demanded to have MRI's done on them.  Both shoulders had significant labral tears that have resulted in surgery on both of them within the past 17 months.  In 2004 I had an aneurysm one of my eyes that resulted in a blind spot in my central vision....not huge but just out of my direct field of view.  I was allowed to remain on flying status after much persuasion to the flight docs.  My other eye compensated enough to pass all my visual acuity tests, but the blind spot remains.  This has been documented on my amsler grid testing with a couple of times being either mis-annotated on my physical OR was something I really could have cared less about at the time...just get me in the air.

Fast Forward to the past 15 months....the USAF placed me on several drugs to get rid of the pain that I was enduring (and still do).  The list is long and distinguished...Oxycontin was the horrible part.  I was referred to a civilian pain management doctor to help wean me off of it so I could undergo my total knee replacement.  That was a success, however, the pain in my shoulders/lower back/plantar fasciitis remained. (all of these conditions are being treated still by civilian providers).  After the TKR, 7 months ago, my pain has increased twenty-fold.  Pain management has performed injections in my sacral region and more to come in my groin due to torn tissues in the pelvic region....WTH is going on????  I am also on morphine sulfate and percocet 6x daily to get through the day.

I referred myself (after discussion with my flight surgeon) to the Mental Health clinic for Chronic Pain problems and help with dealing with them.  I apologize for being disjointed but the treatment at mental health began when I started on the narcotics over a year ago.  The support that I have been receiving from them has been 100% incredible!  The psychiatrist literally saved my life....for things that I simply cannot get into here (I 'coded' and 'left the Earth' while at WHMC in 2006).  I have also been seeing a colleague of my MH doc who is a psychologist and has been prescribing Effexor for help in dealing with the pain receptors and my ability to deal with the pain.  I have also been on multiple drugs for insomnia due to the constant pain I am in.  They have agreed to continue seeing me until the issues are resolved even after retirement (I AM GRATEFUL FOR THIS)!

Three months ago, my flight surgeon did a battery of blood tests that showed that I have a "strong" possibility of having an auto-immune disorder.  Will all the issues I have been having (too many to list tonight) he stated that it was time to see a Rheumatologist.  What has transpired since, has been a medical nightmare for my flight doc/pain doc/rheumatologist/gastroenterologist.  In December, chest pains that I have been having for a few years caught up with me.  My blood pressure shot up to 160's over 110's and my resting heartrate was over 110 beats per min.  After rounds of meds, we have found that HCTZ/Norvasc/Atenolol combination has reduced both the BP and HR to normal levels.  However, the pain in the chest persists as well as dry-heaving a few times per day.

A priority endoscopy was ordered just before Christmas and my esophagus is 'sloughing' off tissue in the entire lower half.  My stomach looks as though there is a cup of 'salmon eggs' coating the bottom to a depth of about 1/4" (as far as I can tell) and there is a ring of tissue right below my sternum that has restricted the size to less than half.  I have been treated with multiple proton pump inhibitiors and zantac to try to stop the esophagitis/gastritis that is happening.  The drugs have been of no help to date.

A month ago my Rheumatologist discovered that I am not making/absorbing Vitamin D and has stated that I have 'osteomalacia' which is in my terms "mushy bone syndrome".  Basically my bones are soft due to the deficiency and we are attempting to treat this now.  The Rheumatologist thinks that this is why my plates failed in my knee prior to the TKR and why the TKR is so awfully painful now with increased swelling.

Last week some of the 20 vials of blood 'donated' in the same week have come back to say that I have no measurable testosterone in my body.  I am awaiting an appt next week to see what we can do about this......geeze what else can go wrong?  Has my "warranty" expired...LOL....at least I have my humor right?????

There are a litany of  other 'issues' that pale in comparison to what I am going through now that are at the "bottom of my list":  Migraines 2-3 times per month with loss of vision for the past 18 months, numbness in the arms/hands, a shoulder that needs another surgery, herniated calf muscle, foot injections that have not worked (huge bone spurs perhaps???)...I could definitely write a novel.

SOOOOO....where am I going???  I have put off the retirement stuff to the very last minute (began the checklists/outprocessing/benefits briefs/reports/decorations for others) and I am in the final stretch.  I realize that my "date" to participate in BDD is rapidly approaching.  I have not yet contacted a VSO to help...but I will in two weeks.  I have a partial copy of my SMR's (2500 pages as of 6 months ago) and have been looking at them, albeit briefly.  My sole job now is to finally take care of MYSELF and figure out how to do the claim.  {{BDEWEY if you read this, you are the ONLY exception to this....whatever you need let me know}}

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be invaluable to me.  I will NOT be working after retirement.  I have decided to volunteer with the local canine shelter AND the Airman Family Readiness center.....time to give back to a hugely personal cause and to help others that have served as I have.

Thanks for all the help and at least letting me put a few things on the table.....I guess this my way of finally asking for some help.  I promise to 'pay it forward' and you can take that to the bank!

Regards,

Mike

NOTE:  I have obtained all of the MRI/CT SCANS/X-rays with reports from the civilian providers AND the VA (our Med group is co-located with the VA...I am still on Active duty until 31 May).  I have never been in the reserves/guard as some may ask.  20 years Active.  I was DNIFed in March 2008 due to vision loss from migraines and then the multiple surgeries on shoulders/knee.  Med Disqualified from flying 12 months ago finally.  My Commander (as well as a confidant/friend who I will admire for eternity), his wife, my docs....are all some of the most loving and caring individuals you could ever hope to know.

I have made my decision long ago to retire from the USAF and be with my family after 20 years of faithful service.  I want to retire on my own terms and NOT be retired due to some medical 'issues'....again many will think I am crazy, but it is what I will do.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

MDB,

you might take a look at my website. It could be a good way to begin. It is free and offers guidance on researching, then organizing and finally assembling a va claim.

I think you will find a lot of good info.

And finally,

On another website, Veterans Benefits Network, in the General Forum there is a topic that covers active duty military as they are leaving the service. It offers quite a bit of information that should help also. Here is the link:

http://vets.yuku.com/topic/37612

That should get you started until more knowledgeable people can answer.

I wish you the best and thank you for your service.

fanaticbooks

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

A free guide for researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. Now upgraded to include suggestions for VONAPP and Social Security Disability.

I suggest you try to contact a VSO from one of the main vet orgs now- but if you cant ,there might well be VSOs available through the transition process (BDD).

I feel you should list your main disabilities first and then add anything that is secondary to them.There are many medical issues here that are potentially ratable and are documented in your SMRs.So best to list them all.

The VA web site , under forms , has the 21-526-the initial compensation application.

I am going to assume that any VSOs or BDD reps available for the transition briefings will be overwhelemed- so I think if you approach either a VSO on the base or by contacting DAV or AL etc to get one hopefully close to you for an appointment-

if you have the 21-526 filled out already-for the basic stuff- then

then they would have more time to go over the disabilities and see the best way to list them.

With multiple issues on discharge-I think a vet needs to determine the main issues first (the most disabling ones)and then any secondaries to the main issues.

But even if that cant be determined, you should list all of these and hopefully the discharge certificate will reflect them too- at least the main ones.

In my opinion I think you should also apply for TDIU as well as SSA disability benefits.But you do intend to do volunteer work.So best to see what a vet rep suggests there.

With 20 years of service (so commendable!) I assume your SMRs are quite a stack and it would be great for you to find a vet rep close enough to your locale who would be willing to go through them if needed for the claims- yet it sounds to me as if all disabilities would be well documented.

Hopefully they will explain the CRDP CRSC program to you at transition briefings but if not that info is available her under our search feature.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Lead Moderator

I advise any Veteran seeking Vets benefits to "hunker down for a long fight". Veterans for Common Sense says it takes the Regional Office 6 months to make a decision, and another 4 years to appeal. On another post, I suggested that anyone who got their "full" VA benefits in 6 months to send me a PM..not one sent me a PM. I am aware of one lady who got her full Va benefits in 6 months..she has moved to another forum. Most of the rest of us waited multiple years on our benefits, and some hadit members have not gotten any at all yet.

What I am getting at is that it is unlikely for you to see your full check from the VA in less than 4.5 years. Please don't have me shot, I did not cause, or invent the 1,000,000 VA claims backlog. I promise you I dont like it either...I lost my home waiting for the VA to process my check. My benefits took 7 years.

I dont know anything about this "BDD" program..it may work and you may get your benefits in 2 weeks. However, other VA programs have been less successful. Consider the "Post 9-11 GI Bill" program, implemented by the VA. Students were so angry when their checks did not arrive, Shinseki was pressured into making them "Emergency" $3000 payments.

“Under the BDD program, servicemembers can apply for VA service-connected disability compensation and related benefits prior to separation from service, which allows VA to begin payment of benefits as soon as possible after discharge. Servicemembers who apply for disability compensation under the BDD program undergo one medical examination instead of both a military separation exam and a VA exam for the disability claim. Timely decisions on servicemembers' disability compensation claims also help ensure the continuity of medical care for their service-connected disabilities. The goal of the program is to deliver benefits within 60 days of military separation. During FY 2006, VBA completed more than 29,000 claims under the BDD program. “

From Michael Walcoff of VBA in H VAC subcommittee testimony Oct 2007

http://www.woundedwarriorresourcecenter.com/bdd

more info here

http://74.125.113.132/custom?q=cache:UoWlz...326217334650925

BDD VA Fact sheet on BDD program Department of Veterans Affairs

Benefits Delivery At Discharge (BDD)

If you are separating from active duty within the next 60 to 180 days, BDD can help you receive VA disability benefits sooner.

What Is Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD)?

The Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) Program allows a servicemember to apply for disability compensation benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) prior to retirement or separation from military service.

How Can BDD Help Me?

BDD is offered to accelerate receipt of VA disability benefits, with a goal of providing benefits within 60 days after release or discharge from active duty. BDD allows a servicemember with at least 60 days, but not more than 180 days, remaining on active duty to file a VA disability claim prior to separation. BDD requires a minimum of 60 days to allow sufficient time to complete the medical examination process (which may involve multiple specialty clinics) prior to separation from service.

How Do I Get Started?

Submit VA Form 21-526, Veteran’s Application for Compensation and/or Pension, and submit it to the nearest VA Regional Office. You can also complete your application on-line at VA’s website (www.VA.gov) using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). For the VA Regional Office nearest you, call the VA toll free number at 1-800-827-1000. Submit your service treatment records. Either your original records or copies are acceptable. Attend and complete all phases of your VA/DoD medical separation examination process.

Where Can I Get An Application?

VA Form 21-526 can be downloaded from the VA website at www.va.gov. An on-line application can also be submitted on that website using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). You may also call VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you. Remember, to fully participate in the BDD Program, you must submit VA Form 21-526, along with a copy of your service treatment records (or original), and be available to attend and complete all phases of the VA/DoD medical separation examination.

What Else Should I Know?

BDD is a time-sensitive process. To receive your VA disability benefits within the goal of 60 days following separation, you must submit your claim 60 to 180 days prior to your release or retirement from active duty. This time is needed to complete your medical examinations before you leave your point of separation. If you are closer than 60 days to separation from service, you can submit a Quick Start claim. Call the VA today at 1-800-827-1000 to learn about this process and get started.

How Can I Get More Information?

If you are on a military installation, contact your local Transition Assistance Office or ACAP Center (Army only) to schedule appointments to attend VA benefits briefings and learn how to initiate your claim. You can also call the VA toll-free number, 1-800-827-1000. Be sure to visit www.TurboTAP.org and www.MilitaryOneSource.com for 24/7 access to helpful pre-separation and transition guides; employment, education, and relocation information, benefits checklist; and more. To view the BDD brochure, click here.

For More Information, Visit Our Web Site at http://www.va.gov or Call Toll-Free

<h1 class="western" align="LEFT">Disability Benefits/General Information: 1-800-827-1000 Insurance: 1-800-669-8477</h1> <h2 class="western">Education: 1-888-442-4551 Health Benefits: 1-877-222-8387</h2> Policy and Program Management – October 2008

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations on your upcoming USAF retirement, 'MDB1968NM'. I commend you on your tenacity and commitment to see this through. You chose no MEB/PEB. My only advice is not to be too stubborn, and as Berta suggested, to seek professional "Veterans" VSO council as you complete your career. Good luck in the future with your medical & VA issues.

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder

In your case I don't see much delay for you getting your full VA Benefits. Like others I suggest that you get some help. For you and your family I suggest that you make your decisions on what is in your best interest and don't worry to much about how things look. You served and are owed benefits it is that simple.

Good luck you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.