Angelo Hurtado

Question

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I know it means they are making a decision on my claim, but is it being in rating a good thing? as in, it isnt denied or am I doing some wishful thinking?!

Angelo.

It simply means VBA is still working on your claim.

Don't listen to most anything the 800 # tells you.

They are not set up to be able to provide accurate

answers on claims status.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

hmm..so i should at least get 50% for ptsd? it went into rating without even having a c&p...im so confused when it comes to dealing with the va

Angelo,

GAF is a snapshot in time.

PTSD percentage levels are not solely based on GAF scores,

much more goes into adjudicating the percentage levels for PTSD

than GAF scores.

You post, "it went into rating without even having a c&p..",

it's probably still in pre-determination and a decision maker

has yet to order a C&P examination.

Also, I do not feel a GAF score of 72 will be helpful in a 50 percent award.

jmho,

carlie

Also, below is a quote from a member that rarely posts, but he

is a lLicensed Clinical Psychologist and this post might be helpful

in understanding things a bit more.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30015

I am a former C and P examiner and a Clinical Psychologist with two tours in Vietnam with Marine Force Recon. I am 100% P and T and SSDI. I will clarify what a GAF score means in an evaluation. A GAF scores is much like your blood pressure it never stays the same through the day. You may have a GAF of 35 in the morning then have one of 55 in the afternoon. I will debate the importance of a GAF score as it is a predictor of behavior over a period of time. Going into a C and P with just one evaluation will not generate the rating you will get. But a veteran who has been in treatment for a long period of time has a longitudinal record of GAF scores. There are 10 parts to a C and P examination and GAF is one of them. The one that counts the most is if the examiner also diagnoses one with PTSD or what other mental health disorder one has.

Your history especially military history and combat awards go a long way as does the GAF score. Then it is the severity specifier on Axis I and the severity rating on Axis IV that will allow the raters to make an appropriate rating.

Patrick

Edited by carlie
more info

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

What are you rated now for PTSD or are you even rated for it? Maybe I missed something here.

My understanding is you are already rated and have put in for increase. Lets say you're at 30% and your last GAF was 72 the VA will springboard off this in a bad way. Even though they don't look at GAF like they do your actually history they will use a high GAF to deny a higher rating.

In other words, a low GAF they won't consider as much but a high GAF (benefits them) and they will use it as leverage.

jerr

thanks for the replys,

broncovet and john999:

yea i know the fuzzy math by the va. i did the calculator on this site and my final math would be 94.3 haha... .7 away from being 100% (if i get it)

carlie:

once again, great help! i get what ur saying on the gaf score...and it makes sense.

i had a c&p scheduled back in late november but they scheduled it in san diego, i live in sacramento. so i asked to have them reschedule it to a little more closer than a 8/9 hour drive. then i called again after the holidays and they told me that my claim had went into rating dec 11th.

i ran this by member known as LarryJ, and he told me it could be a great sign, that when the va does this they are just submitting to giving me the claim...that c&p exams are ways for the va to find how to deny u.

jerrbilly:

im not rated for ptsd, this claim is my first claim for it but i am rated 80% already. my vso submitted for the ptsd (new claim) and then a (what he told me) request for increase/tdiu claim (just in case the ptsd doesnt get me to 100%) so i dont know much past that on what the papers are.

thanks everyone for there help!

• HadIt.com Elder

The AMC kept telling me for a year that my claim was being rated.

It wasn't even assigned to anyone to rate the whole time.

Once someone is actually assigned to the claim to rate it, it still takes a good deal of time before an SOC is issued. Always expect to be either denied or low balled & you will be far less disappointed in the claims handling process.

There is little they tell you that can be believed.

If it actually went to a rater in Dec-09, you may hear something by spring at the earliest. Denials are sometimes faster since they shoot them out the door with little bases, if any at all.

Those vets who are suffering financially, may need to go on state aide for disability until their VA claims are worked out.

Weird thing happen yesterday, after posting my last message my wife walks in with the mail and i have a letter from the va saying "sorry for the delay, ur claimis still being processed" so i guess i have alot longer to go :0(