Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

Got my letter today from SSD and it was denied. I'm confused I feel the wind has just been knocked out of me. I honestley don't know if I have any more fight left in me to appeal this.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

The truth of the matter is that the majority of SSD applicants are denied the first time they apply for disability. In my area, it is 79% denied and 21% approved. I was among those denied. So I filed for a reconsideration (the odds were even worse for this), and was again denied. I then hired a lawyer, and I have a court date with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) on March 23rd. The odds go way up if you hire a lawyer to represent you.

Now the cost of a lawyer is 20% of only your backpay (up to a maximum of $5,300) + any IMOs (the lawyer pays for the IMO if you don't win). In my case, I have enough backpay coming that the lawyer is going to max out and I will have an IMO done at the end of February. I would rather have part of something, than all of nothing.

Once you have been given a court date and a judge, you can look up the judge's approval/denied ratio; however, that really isn't too indicative of anything because each SSD case is individual, based on its own merits.

Don't GIVE UP! They win when they get applicants discouraged. Besides, your initial start date has already been established, and you will lose that. Social Security already doesn't pay for the first five months anyways.

Louis

Edited by Bonzai

The truth of the matter is that the majority of SSD applicants are denied the first time they apply for disability. In my area, it is 79% denied and 21% approved. I was among those denied. So I filed for a reconsideration (the odds were even worse for this), and was again denied. I then hired a lawyer, and I have a court date with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) on March 23rd. The odds go way up if you hire a lawyer to represent you.

Now the cost of a lawyer is 20% of only your backpay (up to a maximum of $5,300) + any IMOs (the lawyer pays for the IMO if you don't win). In my case, I have enough backpay coming that the lawyer is going to max out and I will have an IMO done at the end of February. I would rather have part of something, than all of nothing.

Once you have been given a court date and a judge, you can look up the judge's approval/denied ratio; however, that really isn't too indicative of anything because each SSD case is individual, based on its own merits.

Don't GIVE UP! They win when they get applicant's discouraged. Besides, your initial start date has already been established, and you will lose that. Social Security already doesn't pay for the first five months anyways.

Louis

Thanks Louis for your reply, that's just the thing I can appeal and already know that it will be denied, I mean c'mon, only then can I hire a lawyer?

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I'm sorry, I really am. I know how you feel --we all do. Take a break, a breather, then (like Pete suggested), share this with an Attorney. ~Wings

im sorry that really stinks. i too was denied and just filed the appeal. yeah it can bring you down , it sure took me down as well. some people get ssdi with a 10% va rating and others cant with a 100% rating...go figure. definately appeal sometimes i feel the ss folks dont care for vets anyway you have been here long enough to know these folks offering advice know whats up. who knows maybe we will both go through soon take care friend erico

Got my letter today from SSD and it was denied. I'm confused I feel the wind has just been knocked out of me. I honestley don't know if I have any more fight left in me to appeal this.

I totally agree with both pete and wings. And Bonzai is currently in the same boat just alittle farther ahead. Take a break, regroup, and then Attack again. You have a date set now just be patient and work it. It is always tough especially when you know you qualify, but we have all been through it.

Hang in there,

Bergie