Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stupid Question, But Got Different Answers And Need To Ask

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I quit working in Feb 1998, I was at the frizzy end of my rope and couldn't take it anymore. Lucky for me, I had a husband who could support us and understood what was going on with me. I spent the first 2 years hiding in my house, then finally went to see a psychiatrist.

I never considered applying for SS disability, I didn't think of myself as disabled, just very troubled. I kept thinking I would get better...

Anyway, I've been getting the SS printouts yearly and I saw that my window of applying for SSD had closed years ago, so I never thought about it. Then last year I went to a PTSD inpatient program and found I was the only one there not getting SSD. My roommate told me that she'd gotten it after not working for 5 years.

It's been 12 years for me now. I have plenty of quarters to receive SS when I reach 65 (dwindling, dwindling as the years roll by).

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed. Feeling fuzzy just now.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you all so much!!

I never would have thought I might really have a chance at this. I'll get myself started on this as quick as I can... wow.

This would be great. I wonder if my old shrink would back me up.. I started seeing him a few months after I stopped working.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck and stick with it. For instance, had all credits needed, got denied for lack of current credits, struggled to get those, got approved second time around. If I had understood about ALJ probably got SSDI earlier. Great information and experience here ~ !

Cg

Well, I still haven't put in my application for SSDI. Damn PTSD, makes me put off so many things.

Anyway, I have another stupid question.

Over the years since I stopped working full time, I did some selling on eBay. It was good in a way because it made me feel useful, but awful because I was way too obsessive about it. Agonized over whether I should use the blue font or the teal font, and should I say I would accept all returns or should I say I would accept any and all returns. You can see where it went.

I made some money, filed a schedule C, but never made a profit or even came close. In the last two years I did it, I just listed the income as hobby income on our taxes. The last time I made a sale was just before I went off to the in-patient PTSD treatment facility.

Does this count as working? Should I put that new date instead of the 1998 date? I didn't pay self-employment taxes, so there would be no SS credits for the time period, so does it not count?

I know, I should call the SSA and ask them, but it will be another two years before I get up the chutzpah to call them. It's so much safer and easier to write my questions here...

Thanks again for your help, HadIts!

• HadIt.com Elder

1. No

2. No

3. No

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder

At this point I'd contact someone specializing in SSDI claims. You can choose anyone you want. I recommend going to http://www.nosscr.org/ to find someone in your area. You'll probably need to go to the ALJ appeal level and it'll probably take about 2yrs to get it awarded but it'll be a nice retro check when it comes. Every day you waste is lost money that could help you and your family. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers