Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iraq Veteran

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

During my visit to the dentist yesterday I noticed a picture of a soldier on the wall. It was the son of the dental assistant. I asked her what his MOS was. She did not know what that meant, then I said what was his occupation in the Army. Infantry. I asked her if he served overseas. That's when she opened up.

He served 8 months in Iraq as an Infantry soldier. Came home for a two week leave and went Awol for 30 days. We all know that's a bad decision. He served some jail time and his attorney has bargained for a Bad Conduct Discharge. In the discharge process he has been diagnosed with PTSD and ADD. He has been advised that if he accepts the BCD that after waiting 30 days he can go to the VA, get the BCD upgraded to honorable and receive care for the PTSD.

My question to the board has anyone heard of a 30 day wait and automatic upgrade to honorable? Thanks. Terry

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What about the deserters and draft evaders who went to Canada to avoid Vietnam and the draft. A few years later they came and all was forgiven. There were so many draft dodgers during Vietnam that only the crazy ones, and those who could not avoid the draft actually went. I would list myself as one of the crazy ones which is prima facia proof of a mental illness. To be drafted and sent to Vietnam was the booby prize. There were thousands of deserters living in Canada. Did all of them get BCD's when they returned after the war?

• HadIt.com Elder

John I don't see another Jimmy carter getting elected in the future and granting a blanket amnesty either and I pray we never get another Nixon although I did like the pay raises he gave us my pay went from 200 to 400 in 74 and then that 2 month TDY at Edgewood got me 4000 in travel pay and TDY pay and per diem that was a heck of a lot of money

John the man in question in this post had other options check himself in to a hospital rather than go back going awol for 30 days and going thru the MPs to turn yourself in was the first mistake and then letting a lawyer tell you he bargained for you and got you a BCD that proves he needs mental health help that ain't a bargain that is a sexual act and no one felt good when it was over if I was this kids mom I would be crying to the congressman that her kid was a good kid before he went to Iraq and he came back all messed up and he needs to be in a wounded warrior unit and getting mental health help for his PTSD instead of being thrown out of the Army I helped one kid who was being thrown out and they had reduced his rank for bad acts and they were trying to give him a chapter 13 when I got some people I know involved before it was over General Schoomaker the Surgeon General got him into a wounded warrior unit and his rank restored and a medical discharge and since that lawsuit now he should be eligible for the Chapter 61 PTSD discharge at the 50% rate and he was rated 70% TDIU by the VA but you have to get it done before they actually throw him out the door if mom wants to get me the name and the base I can run his name past that same flag pole and see what happens but I ain't making no promises sometimes I find I have used all my ammo up people get pizzed at me after I try using the same trail e mail me at testvet at aol.com if you want to try and save this one if has been awhile since I did it the last time I might get that door open again.....

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/424/transcript.html Norrel was his name

Edited by Testvet

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Ummm He needs to get a civilian lawyer to get is discharge upgraded.

Then he needs to see if he had a Psych evaluation done upon discharge, get his Service medical records and discharge papers, show these to a Lawyer and apply for a medical discharge based upon physical disability (PTSD).

They are really trying to screw with him. His JAG didn't help him at all.... :-( This story is really sad, Vets put there lives on the line to be shafted by the very brothers they serve with grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Like other have said there is no such thing as automatic upgrade, they are trying to get around the requirement of medical discharge. If he has over 8 years then it would be medical retirement instead.

Make sure you speak up to this person otherwise this guy may lose out bigtime!

If need be direct the Mom to this website:

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,209720,00.html

and remember if he has been diagnosed during the discharge process, the HE IS ONE OF THESE VETS!!!!!

As bad as it might seem, it could be worse, he could be facing a court martial and do a good solid year in jail. The army doesn't mess around with soldiers that go awol from a combat zone. Ive seen it first hand, they are either on a flight back to the combat zone the day the army gets them at PCF, or they go to court martial, hes lucky to get a BCD being that if he went to a court martial he faces jail time, and the only excuse for going awol is being insane at the time, there are 2 others, but that one only applies here and he wasn't insane, but he could have been who knows

My concern is the ADD. You just do not wake up one day and you have ADD. This young man must have had it since the day he was born. My youngest son who is now 34, could not have functioned in the military. When you are a parent you should notice behaviorial patterns in your children, and take appropriate action. This is a volunteer serice now, and there is no way that he should have been allowed in the service with ADD.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

terry - you know the military lies!!! No surprise there. Anything said must be in writing. I seriously believe given that he has PTSD he could get medically retired w/50% rating. His mom should contact an atty, probably one that advertises in Stars & Stripes or something. jmo

pr

During my visit to the dentist yesterday I noticed a picture of a soldier on the wall. It was the son of the dental assistant. I asked her what his MOS was. She did not know what that meant, then I said what was his occupation in the Army. Infantry. I asked her if he served overseas. That's when she opened up.

He served 8 months in Iraq as an Infantry soldier. Came home for a two week leave and went Awol for 30 days. We all know that's a bad decision. He served some jail time and his attorney has bargained for a Bad Conduct Discharge. In the discharge process he has been diagnosed with PTSD and ADD. He has been advised that if he accepts the BCD that after waiting 30 days he can go to the VA, get the BCD upgraded to honorable and receive care for the PTSD.

My question to the board has anyone heard of a 30 day wait and automatic upgrade to honorable? Thanks. Terry

terry - you know the military lies!!! No surprise there. Anything said must be in writing. I seriously believe given that he has PTSD he could get medically retired w/50% rating. His mom should contact an atty, probably one that advertises in Stars & Stripes or something. jmo

pr

no way he went AWOL from a combat zone, that is the worst kind of AWOL you can do, he is going to get the book thrown at him, hes lucky he didn't have to serve jail time or face a court martial. The only way he can see benefits if he can show that his PTSD caused him to go AWOL...thats a 50 50 chance