VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Get Sc For Psychosis

Rate this question

hulamatt

Question

ive had it twice and have been hospitalized for it, well alot more than twice, but only dxed twice as i didnt seek treatment, they were either RO paranoid schizophrenia orNOS whatever that means. Ive got a claim in for schizophrenia, but maybe i should have one in for psychosis too. I thank god i was never diagnosed with a PD or i would be screwed

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did the military try and say it was pre-existing? If you were on active duty and you had the breakdown then the stress of active duty would be what I would point to as the straw that broke the camel's back.

nope never said it was pre existing, but to back me up i provided my entrance exam from MEPS when i got in that said ive never been to a hospital never been treated for any kind of condition. You know what now that i think about it a doctor did recommened me for a chapter 5-17, not sure what that is but my chain of command said no If that says anything about existing prior to service i just might leave those records out, but the doctors are retarded, they sent me to hospital for psychosis threat to myself and others, yet never treated me. ALL my medical records say that i had bizarre ideation about being given a red pill in basic training and believing that i was brainwashed, and that i had to go back and get it again to be fixed.. 5 years passed from basic training, served honorably in guard and reserves, the went active, and as soon as i did things started going from bad to worse, i just had panic attacks at first, maybe 2 a year, but once i went active i developed psychosis , from trying to figure out what the hell this damn red pill was that they gave me. then it went to schizophrenia, paranoid type, i litterally went from a smart kid with a good head on his shouldier, excellent soldier, to certifiably nuts and hospitalized in psych wards in months. I am pretty sure the Va does not have the documentation from my 5-17 reccomendation, so if that is existing prior to service, i might debate on sending that in, because then its a whole new ballgame then i got to prove it was aggravated beyond normal progression, which is even harder than just showing it came from service, then i got to change my dang IMO format to say that if it existed prior to service that normal progression was made worse. Just when i think ive got everything sent in that i needed. I should get the Mental health records, from my stay at the hospital after a month of being in , within the next week ill let you know what they say.

nope never said it was pre existing, but to back me up i provided my entrance exam from MEPS when i got in that said ive never been to a hospital never been treated for any kind of condition. You know what now that i think about it a doctor did recommened me for a chapter 5-17, not sure what that is but my chain of command said no If that says anything about existing prior to service i just might leave those records out, but the doctors are retarded, they sent me to hospital for psychosis threat to myself and others, yet never treated me. ALL my medical records say that i had bizarre ideation about being given a red pill in basic training and believing that i was brainwashed, and that i had to go back and get it again to be fixed.. 5 years passed from basic training, served honorably in guard and reserves, the went active, and as soon as i did things started going from bad to worse, i just had panic attacks at first, maybe 2 a year, but once i went active i developed psychosis , from trying to figure out what the hell this damn red pill was that they gave me. then it went to schizophrenia, paranoid type, i litterally went from a smart kid with a good head on his shouldier, excellent soldier, to certifiably nuts and hospitalized in psych wards in months. I am pretty sure the Va does not have the documentation from my 5-17 reccomendation, so if that is existing prior to service, i might debate on sending that in, because then its a whole new ballgame then i got to prove it was aggravated beyond normal progression, which is even harder than just showing it came from service, then i got to change my dang IMO format to say that if it existed prior to service that normal progression was made worse. Just when i think ive got everything sent in that i needed. I should get the Mental health records, from my stay at the hospital after a month of being in , within the next week ill let you know what they say.

Ok now looking over it there are three separations 5-11 ELS which i dont get because im prior service, 5-13 which is personality disorder, dont remember them saying anything about this. or 5-17 mental or physical by convience of government, says nothing about existing prior to service. And now that i think about it, i was not diagnosed with schizophrenia, a month into service, at most it would have been psychosis, or threat to self and others, said i was delusional, but i was not diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenia until 4 months later and again by the va 5 months after that all while on active duty

• HadIt.com Elder

You don't want to claim that you had this prior to the military. You want to say you were perfectly OK before active duty. The stress of active duty set off your psychosis.

I think the most important thing you need to focus on is considering an IMO to help you with the Character of Discharge claim:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?show...acter+discharge

With a bar to benefits now- this VA decision -if favorable- will allow the SC claim to kick in.

The independent medical opinion-which must reflect your inservice SMRs and all subsequent medical records could certainly cover the Character of Discharge claim as well as the claim for service connection.

A psychosis can be considered a presumptive chronic disability under 38 CFR 3.309 if it was diagnosed during service or within the one year presumptive period following service- and manifested to at least 10% disabling during the year after service (proven by medical evidence).

The disability must be chronic however- for the presumption to kick in.

It is one additional way as well as a claim for direct service connection to gain a compensation rating.

Hula Matt,

RO means "rule out" as in rule out paranoid schizo which means they think that might be it or might not but they can't currently figure it out and have to look to rule it out as a dx meaning you may have another dx that is more appropriate.

I think NOS means not otherwise specified as in your psychosis doesn't fit neatly into any particular dx.

You mention multiple episodes of psychosis as well as suicidal ideation - have you ever been diagnosed with bipolar disorder? It is on the continum with schizophrenia and may be a more accurate dx depending on your sx.

Look at the DSM-IV and read up on both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and overlay what you read with your mental health history and see what you think.

Just something to consider.

Good luck,

TS Snave

IMHO mental disorders are "lumped together"...depression, paranoid schizo, etc, etc. HOWEVER, and this is important, the VA requires you specify the benefit requested.

It seems to me I have seen where the VA "weasels" out of paying by a Veteran applying for a nuerological disorder, when it was depression. To be safe apply for shizo, nuero disorder..everything. What a shame it would be for you to not get your benefits because you were unsure of the diagnosis....