Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Jobs Require No Walking?

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi all,

The vet I am helping was denied TDIU because decision say "you have not been found unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of connedted disabilities alone. While your service connected disabilities certainly impact your ability to perform certain jobs, service connected right lower extremity disability is not shown to preclude employment in any capacity, rendering you unemployable. You are considered unemployable due to non-service connected factors. The service connected disabilities, when considered apart from the non-service-connected conditions, are not the cause of unemployability. While VA examination from 2004 does suggest that service connected disabilities could impact employment capability, the evidence shows that you were able to successfully work from 2004 to 2008."

Vets 2009 C&P exam states: Vet is not able to be sucessfully employed in an position that requires walking o climbing due to his right and self reported left knee DJD."

Question: What type of jobs are there that requires no walking and that are gainful occupation, that this Vet can get?

Please post your answers.

Thanks!

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Politician (they just sit around all day)

There are actually a lot of jobs that could be taken. Accountant, any telephone-type job, etc... It depends on the experience and education your friend has. What are your friend's qualifications? I knew some teachers and lawyers that stayed off their feet, used assisted devices, etc... The sky could be the limit.

Politician (they just sit around all day)

There are actually a lot of jobs that could be taken. Accountant, any telephone-type job, etc... It depends on the experience and education your friend has. What are your friend's qualifications? I knew some teachers and lawyers that stayed off their feet, used assisted devices, etc... The sky could be the limit.

This vet has a high school education and went to college for 1 year enrolled in a Certificate Program for Food Management. He was chef for many years and had to retire because of his service connected right knee injury. He is in his 70s and has no computer experience whatsoever. He cannot do any prolong sitting or standing because of his right knee injury. That's why walking is a problem for him. His knee locks up and gives way causing him to fall a lot. In 2008 his knee locked up on him and he fell and he injured his C-Spine and his entire left side and LS as well. He hasn't worked since the fall. His doctor wrote: "after a complete review of his medical records, it is my medical opinion that Mr. XXX fell because of the pain, stiffnes and instability of his right knee related to the injury suffered at the time of service in the Army." VA say doctor was speculative when stating this. His doctor is livid and is writing another IMO to refute this. Also, this vet knows he cannot work again, but is just curious as to what jobs are available out there for a person in his condition.

Edited by Charleese

Vync is very correct. It depends upon his qualifications, education, etc. Has your friend taken advantage of the GI educational bill? If not, he should. He should also go to his state's Rehab. Commission office, and most times they will pay for his education and/or training. Texas did that for me, and I had the big amount of $300.00 per month to support a wife and three kids. I'm sure it is more now. He may, and I know other members will roll on the floor laughing, want to try the federal government since it seems they are the only people hiring at the moment. What part of the country are we talking about? Like Vync says, we need to know what his skill level and educ ation level is. I will try my best to help.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

If the vet is in his 70's and needs a job that is a difficult position to be in for even a healthy person. I would say some kind of computer training to do a simple date entry job would be a possibility.

C

I did once see a guy at the VA (He worked there) & he didn't have any legs doing Office Wokr

But, I guess that would not be good as he can't sit long

this may be why hes getting turned down but this also would have to do with his Education

GARY

Of course there are many "white collar" jobs that do not require walking...accounting, lawyers, computer programmers, telephone sales, office work, etc. However, you do have to get to work some way, and most of the time that involves walking at least part of the way. Someone already pointed out that the job needs to be related to the skills of the person. A high school dropout construction worker probably would be pretty lost as a computer scientist. However, Voc Rehab may be able to help, sometimes with retraining of something this Veteran would like to do and was capable of doing.