Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Weird Question, Maybe Paranoid...

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I have PTSD from a personal assault. Okay, that comes with all the anxiety, fear, paranoia, etc. Claim with the VA still in progress.

Okay. Now I've filed for SSDI, and done the applications, etc. It was a struggle, but I got it done.

Here's my weirdness: I've just seen in our paper a help-wanted advert for someone to do video surveillance for workman's comp. I suspect trying to catch mr. smith, who is WC for back injury, bowling or break dancing.

Okay. That's the way they operate, okay. What I'm asking here is will the SSA be sending someone to watch me? I mean, they won't see me doing much because I don't go out much. Will they be looking in my windows? Will I go to jail if I shoot someone on my property and it turns out to be a SSA surveillance person? I sleep with a loaded shotgun by the bed. There's another one by the door (secured, but handy) and I have a dog that doesn't have a sense of humor about people who might be prowlers.

This is terrifying to me. If this is what filing for or getting SSDI means, being watched by strangers, I can't do this. They can keep their money, I can't do this...

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

No, SSD won't be sending anyone out to watch you. If you are working and making more than a very small amount of money and collecting SSD then you have trouble. Worker's compensation is a different animal. If you file for WC someone may check up on you. WC comes out of the pocket of companies and they hate to pay for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

No, SSD won't be sending anyone out to watch you. If you are working and making more than a very small amount of money and collecting SSD then you have trouble. Worker's compensation is a different animal. If you file for WC someone may check up on you. WC comes out of the pocket of companies and they hate to pay for it.

100% what John just said.

And, no, even if it was the VA trying to snoop on you, AND IT'S NOT and WON'T BE, then the LAST thing any "surveillance" snoop wants to happen is for them to be caught, especially caught on the surveillee's property, #1. Cause their "cover" will be "blown". #2. Number 8 birdshot is a booger whilst you are attempting to dig 'em out of your skin with that rusty old Case pocketknife. #3. Some Sheriff's don't take kindly to you tromping around in their voters flower beds. #4. You DO NOT WANT TO MEET Mr. Harley or Mr. Jo-Jo, 'cause whilst one of them will be keepin you busy the other will be making an "end-run" for the nearest backpocket of yer Levi's (and old Harley, well, he's 5lbs bigger than little Jo-Jo and little Jo-Jo just weighs 85lbs).

NAW, I think you are safe from "snoops"!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I beg to differ. If there is suspected fraud, then yes, the man can be watching.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Okay. Now I've filed for SSDI, and done the applications, etc. It was a struggle, but I got it done.

Here's my weirdness: I've just seen in our paper a help-wanted advert for someone to do video surveillance for workman's comp. I suspect trying to catch mr. smith, who is WC for back injury, bowling or break dancing.

Okay. That's the way they operate, okay. What I'm asking here is will the SSA be sending someone to watch me? I mean, they won't see me doing much because I don't go out much. Will they be looking in my windows? Will I go to jail if I shoot someone on my property and it turns out to be a SSA surveillance person? I sleep with a loaded shotgun by the bed. There's another one by the door (secured, but handy) and I have a dog that doesn't have a sense of humor about people who might be prowlers.

This is terrifying to me. If this is what filing for or getting SSDI means, being watched by strangers, I can't do this. They can keep their money, I can't do this...

hedgey,

Sorry but in this case I have to disagree with John and Larry.

By all means - yes it is possible for a SSA employee to go out and do a field investigation.

This can be simple observance, it could mean they at least attempt to speak with neighbors

asking general questions such as - have they seen you mow your lawn and how you do it,

wash your car, drive, have they seen you carry in your groceries, etc ...

I am not implying at all that this happens on a regular or frequent basis, but YES it does happen.

No - they won't be pressing their face against your windows or anything like that.

I would venture to say also that YES, you would most likely go to jail for shooting anyone that merely happens to

stumble onto your property - no matter who they are to include a SSA employee.

I sure hope you have some type of trigger guard's on your shotgun's, it's a real pain in the but when one falls over

and discharges when you didn't want it to.

As long as you stay on the up and up, there should be no problems for you.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hegey:

Whether or not they send someone out it does not matter. You are entitled to the benefits you earned.

These investigations are usually aimed at people whoi have bad backs or physical injuries that are iffy.

PTSD is not something that they really check on except to monitor any reports about earned income.

They may call you back in for re exam but it is highly unlikely that they are going to send someone out to check up on you.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks for making me laugh, and relax a bit.

I do think they might investigate, but I can't stand the thought of coming out my door and seeing a car parked in my driveway... my heart pounds just thinking about it. I won't really shoot anyone in my yard, unless they are acting crazy and like they're really coming for me. But anyone in my house without my permission is another story.

But I'm paranoid, I guess. Can't help it. I mean, I really can't help it.

Yeah, safety first. Trigger guards, safety on, never a round in the chamber unless it's headed someplace immediately.

If they ask my neighbors, I wonder what they'll say? What could they say, most of them have never met me, and the one or two that do know I'm pretty weird and that I've never accepted an invitation, or had anyone come over.

I just need to relax a bit. Thanks again.

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.