VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Compensation Food Stamps

Rate this question

cachanilla73

Question

Hello everyone, I have been away working hard in getting My husband claims, HE WON IT!!! for fibromyalgia, it was a LONG LONG fight. He got 40% for a total combined 70%..... My question i this....... we have been receiving food stamps since last year.... at the time he was employed but missing several days of work due to fibro.. we have to file the periodic report before this month ends but we just got the retro money ... we DON'T WANT to receive anymore foodstamps... he is currently on leave without pay since a few months ago by order of his Psychiatrist. we NEVER applied for an increased on food stamps or welfare or other benefits when he went on leave without pay..

Now the million dollar question, does he has to repay the food stamps? even when we didn't get the money on those months??..... he suffers sever chronic severe PTSD and he is now worried he will loose the money we just got .... now he is having an episode of severe ptsd....

thanks for your help!!

Edited by cachanilla73

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you tried asking the Dept of Social and Health Services if it needs to be repaid?

It seems like I remember you can keep the food stamps for the same month you recieve the retro.

After that, If you don't report the income change and continue recieving food stamps there may be criminal charges filed by DSHS & you'l have to repay it.

Give them a call to find out for sure.

• Founder

I agree call the Department of Social Work, or whatever they might call it where you are. Write down the persons name the time and date you talked to them. Just be honest and ask them what you should do and what your concerns are.

It is much better to just call get the answer and be done with it. Then to worry...worry is very hard on PTSD'ers

Let us know what you find out.

I also agree with Allan and Tbird and I would like to add, if you are told that you have to repay the funds, ask if there is a way that you can repay it in small payments. Some may disagree but now that your income has increased, paying in small payments will also take some of the stress off knowing that you have more income coming in instead of paying all the funds back and waiting for your new payment every month.

When I got my increase to 100% SC P&T, we went by the Dept of Human Services and showed the letter to the Case Worker we had. She made a copy of it and put it in our file. She told us that we didn't qualify ANYMORE, and a week later we received a letter stating that the next month our food stamps would be cut off. We were NOT charged anything to pay for the food stamps we had received for the retro period.

We live in Tennessee.

it was a very nice deposit in the bank, (well nothing will be enough when your health is lost) PLEASE somebody help....

cacha,

It sounds like VA already has your banking information and perhaps

SSA, Food stamps and other agencies already have your banking information also.

I agree with what other's have posted as far as calling up and seeing exactly

what you will be required to do - and doing it.

I strongly suggest that you go to your financial institute,

pull most of the money out of the account that just got the "very nice deposit" in it,

open a new (probably checking) account -

that is not tied to any agency or person via direct deposit, and put the money into the new account.

Any agency or person that is allowed to make a direct deposit into your account

also has the authority to go in and re-coup funds, if they feel they have a reason to do so.

At this point you will now have your money in an account that they can not touch.

Get everything worked out with food stamps and if you are supposed to re-pay anything

work out a payment plan as someone else already posted.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats on your win.

In dealing with the food stamps or DHS.......I would do as Bonzai did, you are dealing with a goivernment agency, I would never leave it to a he said, she said conversation, I would do a face to face with the award letter in hand.