Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Center

Rate this question

Chu Lai69

Question

Quick question? Will a VET Center psychologist's dx's of PTSD statement help a vet with a claim? How much weight do the VET Center doctors have to help Vets? Or are they just working for the VA themselves? In other words, going for treatment for PTSD at a VET Center help you when its time to make a claim??

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Quick question? Will a VET Center psychologist's dx's of PTSD statement help a vet with a claim? How much weight do the VET Center doctors have to help Vets? Or are they just working for the VA themselves? In other words, going for treatment for PTSD at a VET Center help you when its time to make a claim??

#1. Yes.

#2. A Lot.

#3. Yes (but, they are STILL professionals, bound by the regulations concerning their profession, and NOT by the VA, and the Vet Center peeps are very INdependent folks and do not necessarily dance to the VA music, not nearly as much so as some of the VA Medical Center professionals.

#4. Yes. It can make the entire difference in your claim.

#1. Yes.

#2. A Lot.

#3. Yes (but, they are STILL professionals, bound by the regulations concerning their profession, and NOT by the VA, and the Vet Center peeps are very INdependent folks and do not necessarily dance to the VA music, not nearly as much so as some of the VA Medical Center professionals.

#4. Yes. It can make the entire difference in your claim.

Larry, thanks so much for your quick response.

Chu,

This has been the guide for PTSD. We hear rules have changed but I would still try to match this as close as possible:

1. PTSD Diagnosis

First and most important, the veteran must be diagnosed with PTSD. Don't expect the VA to be in a rush to get you a mental health exam for PTSD, and even if/when they do, be forewarned that the VA often misdiagnoses or fails to diagnose, PTSD. If you are experiencing symptoms of PTSD, you can always seek evaluation by a private psychiatrist or psychologist. Ask the private psychiatrist or psychologist to provide you with a report explaining their diagnosis of PTSD using the criteria in the DSM-IV.

2. Link to Military Service

Second, the veteran will have to prove that the PTSD was caused by military service. This element is known as proving the "in-service stressor". There are two different standards for this element, depending on whether the veteran is a combat or non-combat veteran. Regardless, the evidence that the Veteran needs to provide must be credible. Though the VA often expects "corroboration" of the in-service stressor (the statement of a soldier who witnessed the event, for example), "corroboration" is most definitely not the only way to provide credible evidence. This is where an experienced VA claims lawyer or VSO may be able to help you.

3. Connection Between Stressor and PTSD

The veteran must "connect the dots" between the PTSD and the in-service stressor. This is the hardest element of the three, and is often the reason that claims for PTSD are denied. To prove this element, the veteran will typically need credible evidence from a lay expert or medical expert to the effect that the in-service stressor was a "contributory factor" to the PTSD.

Lastly, if you are a soldier getting ready to deploy overseas to one of our many combat zones (Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere), it is reasonable to expect that you will return from combat with PTSD. Before you leave to go overseas, visit with an independent psychologist or psychiatrist (i.e., not a military doctor, not your PCP at the base hospital, but a doctor completely unconnected to the military).

Ask that doctor to perform a baseline examination for the existence of PTSD. Keep the report at home with your safe papers, and when you return from your deployment, if you are diagnosed with PTSD, this document will prove invaluable in proving to the VA that the combat service resulted in your diagnosis of PTSD.

From http://www.disabilitylawyers.com/resources/disability/veterans-disability/claim-ptsd.htm

All the best!

• HadIt.com Elder

The Vet Center I went to DX'ed me with severe and chronic PTSD. The VA rated me 70% for schizophrenia because of a DX 40 years earlier. Three private shrinks said bi-polar. I had so much evidence I think the VA just threw my claim up in the air. Four doctors said I could not work and the VA denied my TDIU. I fought them via vet centers and shrinks for every little thing so I don't know what works except they worship the C&P exam. Just choak them with evidence and get the rating. If it is for brain damage or paranoia as long as you get the IU or 100% "there it is".

• Founder

I concur with everything LarryJ said. Yes, Yes and Yes. They are an oasis in the VA system. I couldn't get through life without mine, seriously.