Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

5 Herniated Discs,1 Buldging Disc, Ptsd, Depression, Mtbi

Rate this question

DS_Wells

Question

Hello,

I am SSG Wells, I am currently serving as a Drill Sergeant on Sand Hill in Ft. Benning GA. I have had some severe back issues, and decieded to finally get it checked out and when I did so, I came to find that I had 3 herniated discs in my cervical spine,2 herniated discs and 1 buldging disc in my lumbar spine witha 1cm cyst on my L5. I have also been diagnosed with depression, and possible PTSD up until this point I have told my doctor that I do not have it, just so I would not have the label. I am 100% positive that I do have PTSD, I have severe anger and irritability issues. Also I am certain I have TBI or MTBI, ever since Iraq my short term memory is almost non existant, also have dizzy spells a times, next week I am going to request to have the MTBI test done from my Internal Medicine doctor, also I am going to tell him that I am certain that I have PTSD. I am worried about what is going to happen when they send me to the MEB and PEB. I would love for someone to give me some insight as to what the possibilites are and what it is I need to be sure I do. And possible disability rating? Any advice would be very apreciated.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you all for your replies, I will be sure to use the info you all provided. And I will also be sure everything is noted by the DOCs. And I am not sure what SC'd is? again thank you all very much!

Ok, I went to my Internal Medicine Doc. last week and he diagnosed me with PTSD and said all the records and information are in line and will be squared away for the MEB. He also refered me to the TBI clinic to be screened do to a lot of my symptoms. And a status update; I have been on a double T3 profile for 270 days aprox for my herniated discs in my cervical spine and my lumbar spine a total of 5 herniated and 1 buldging, and degenerative disc disease. I am currently being treated at the pain clinic, I have talked to one neuro surgeon and he said he didnt want to do the surgery because he didnt think I would benefit from it, and that I was too young and it was on too many levels to determine where the issue originated. So I also last week requested a second opinion from a different NS, because I didnt want it to look bad that he didnt want to do the surgery. I have also been refered to the sleep study clinic to be screened for sleep apnea, because I wake 5-7 times a night and am always tired. any advice would be greatly appreciated and I have been studying to keep my ducks in a row. Thank you all for your posts.

• HadIt.com Elder

An Internal medical doc does not usually diagnose PTSD normally mental health types do that did he refer you to mental health? If you have PTSD you should be under the care of a psychiatrist for medications that might help with your symptoms at the VA I have a shrink and regular Primary care doc and a cardiologist they all have to write prescriptions in their own field the pharmacists reject them from docs not authorized to write I expect to have problems soon as cardiology told me no more appts since I won't let them do the ICD implant they said my PCP would do my heart med refills from now on after almost a decade I am in new territory here good luck on your board do not let them put you out on less than 20% you should get a chapter 61 discharge retirement so you keep your military benefits like a regular retiree they will most likely put you on TDRL and re evaluate you in 18 months to a year before they make it permanent

• HadIt.com Elder

TestVet

Are you going to see a private cardiologist? I would not accept "NO" from the damn VA. Just because you won't accept an invasive procedure the VA cardiologist won't see you? That does not sound right or even legal.