Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

5 Herniated Discs,1 Buldging Disc, Ptsd, Depression, Mtbi

Rate this question

DS_Wells

Question

Hello,

I am SSG Wells, I am currently serving as a Drill Sergeant on Sand Hill in Ft. Benning GA. I have had some severe back issues, and decieded to finally get it checked out and when I did so, I came to find that I had 3 herniated discs in my cervical spine,2 herniated discs and 1 buldging disc in my lumbar spine witha 1cm cyst on my L5. I have also been diagnosed with depression, and possible PTSD up until this point I have told my doctor that I do not have it, just so I would not have the label. I am 100% positive that I do have PTSD, I have severe anger and irritability issues. Also I am certain I have TBI or MTBI, ever since Iraq my short term memory is almost non existant, also have dizzy spells a times, next week I am going to request to have the MTBI test done from my Internal Medicine doctor, also I am going to tell him that I am certain that I have PTSD. I am worried about what is going to happen when they send me to the MEB and PEB. I would love for someone to give me some insight as to what the possibilites are and what it is I need to be sure I do. And possible disability rating? Any advice would be very apreciated.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I originally was being seen by behavioral health, they refered me to internal medicine. And I thought the same thing so I asked the doctor who it was that diagnosed me with PTSD and he said it was him. And I am hoping for much more than 20% my goal is 70% between the PTSD, and Back problems and maybe MTBI and Sleep apnea. Maybe wishful thinking but they always say set your goals high.

So an update. I have been diagnosed with the following: mTBI, Chronic PTSD, mild Sleep Apnea and only 77% efficient sleep, and Have been recommended for surgery for my lower back and neck but declined them both because of the procedure they offered. I just received a call scheduling my appt for the start of my MEB. They said I have to get labs done and what not. What are they looking for in the labs, or does anyone know what all levels are looked at? Finally I am sick of playing the waiting game.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would sure get second opinions about the surgeries even if you change you mind about getting them. I think you will get IU or 100% eventually. The waiting game is the VA's slow torture.

I actually did have a second opinion, the first one wanted to do an implant for my neck and back pain, the second one said therapy for the neck and a double disc fusion for the L4,L5 L5S1. You honestly think I have a chance at 100% or IU.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your PTSD is chronic and severe I do think you have a chance at IU or 100%. If you add that in with your other problems and you can't work then I do think you have a good shot. I don't see how you are going to be able to work with your back trouble anyway. Between the pain and the PTSD those things feed off each other. Keep posting and we can walk you through this thing. I am not that up on the MEB stuff but others are up on it.

Right now the PTSD is diagnosed as chronic and moderate,and I have a total of 6 discs that are messed up between degenerative discs herniations and buldging. And the sleep is a Mild sleep fragmentation, 77% efficiency, marked reduction is the usual motto stage REM sleep. Mild obstrucive sleep apnea recommended for a cpap or a dental appliance for OSA, and the TBI is mild. I am trying to find some documentation on the rating schemes for each condition to see what it will be likely to come out as. Thank you for your assistance.