Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused

Rate this question

Armyvet1987

Question

Hello, I just had a few more questions. I did my C&P awhile ago and I addressed a number of things. I filled out the forms by myself and really had no guide to go off of, I put things like "right knee injury" and "memory loss"...I also put PTSD but my question is for the memory loss. I have seen a number of doctors and each have said I have TBI, however I didn't put TBI on the form so am I going to have to restart this whole process or are they going to award my just for me PTSD without TBI, is PTSD fit in the TBI? Also I have supporting documentation of what I went through while being deployed, all from doctors. Thanks for everyone's service.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that the VA will likely consider TBI as independent of PTSD, and vice versa.

If the medical evidence of TBI is in your records, the VA according to the Law, should consider it as well.

Since this does not always occur, it's generally a good idea to "amend" your claim to include TBI.

Unfortunately, this may slow down your claim in it's meandering path through the VA system.

Does the VA have your medical records showing TBI? If not, you have different ways to accomplish this.

You could send a copy to the VA. If you are treated at a VA facility (Clinic, VAMC, etc.), you can take copies of the records and have them added to your file.

Remember to place your name, "C" file number on each page, and if mailing, at least send certified, receipt requested, etc.

Yes, TBI & mental conditions like PTSD are handled separately, and the examiners of both have to separate which functions (usually cognitive) are part of which (ie memory loss due to either TBI becuz its of organic nature, as opposed to due to PTSD becuz it;s of a psychological nature).