VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

$459,700 Ao

Rate this question

Berta

Question

"Due to Agent Orange, veteran awarded $459,700

GARY HUFFENBERGER

Staff Writer

A local Vietnam War veteran has been awarded a $459,700 benefit because of their exposure to the herbicide Agent Orange during the war and the later onset of ischemic heart disease.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) completed a rating decision this month, making an evaluation of 100 percent, effective November 1994, for the Clinton County veteran. A 100 percent rating is the highest disability rating, according to Ray Souder, executive director of the Clinton County Veterans Service Office."

full story:

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?SectionID=49&SubSectionID=156&ArticleID=188974

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Stillhere,

Great post. When a Government Contractor does not get paid in a timely manner, he gets interest. If a crook does not get a speedy trail, he benefits, and if it takes a century to settle a Veteran's claim, well he/she gets crapped on.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

That's right Papa, no interest on that award! Does the vet get an award that is staged on rates current in 1994 through the present? I bet he does not get current rate of 100% since 1994. I could be wrong since I never figured it out by the numbers. This is 17 years at 100% retro. It seems like a fortune, but this will just about take care of his spouse if something happens to him. He can't get proper amount of life insurance. His spouse will get DIC and whatever other survivor benefits he might have.

I just spoke to one of the reps at Clinton County Veterans Service Agency.

Yep- straight 100% for 17 years.

The vet also has an additional claim pending.

Their highest Nehmer award up to this one was 85,000.

He also told me two widows were recently contacted out of the blue with a Nehmer letter and contacted this county rep office..

This is GREAT news as it does indicate VA is attempting to contact survivors.

Unfortunately the Nehmer regs didnt make enough national news to reach every potential Nehmer vet and /or survivor.

Only the VA itself knows who they are.