Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Imo Or Not?

Rate this question

TLaff

Question

My metal health doc said in her notes major depression due to all the pain i have from DDD and cervical pain and migraines and i get 2 different kinds of meds for depression and one for migraines also because of meds experiencing ED. (is this enough to file a claim for depression as a secondary condition due to my ddd and my triple cervical fusion?) or do i need to get an IMO?

My neurologist prescribes meds for daily headaches and states its cervionic headaches from my cervical fusion (is this enough to file a claim for headaches and migraines as a secondary condition to my cervical fusion?) or do i need to bet an IMO?

What about ED?

I also read somewhere not to make more than two claims at a time it will hold things up for ever? I also have the following to put in it believe.

Bilateral lumbar

Bilateral arms

Sciatica

Scar on neck from cervical fusion

I take about 20 pills a day and i will say this my doctors do seem to care and be helping some, vary rarely do i take pain meds i take allot of nerve meds, anti inflatori and muscle relaxers, i want to stay away from addicting drugs.

Should i claim them all together or a couple at a time?

ANY advice is appreciated.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you in the pain clinic. If they prescribed narcotics I would take the scripts. I would try and maximize the depression claim. Are you working now? If you are prescribed a powerful narcotic this will testify to the extent of the pain you are in and will also add a layer of medication symptoms. If you are 30% now you need at least 70% to easily get TDIU without a fight. All the 0% and 10% claims are not worth one 70% claim. Concentrate on the big stuff. You can pick the other stuff up later. What is your goal? Do you just want a higher rating or are you seeing being unemployable on the horizon?

I want to get what i am entitled to, i don't want to make any bogus claims that are not true but i am in allot of pain 24 hours a day from all three areas of my spine and only sleep 35 minutes at a time and they know this. I take allot of nerve medicine and muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory two types of depression medicine and sleep medicine and i do get prescribed pain medicine to take when needed and i also take migraine medicine, i take a total of 20 pills a day. I am a carpet cleaner and after my surgery i had to sell my water damage equipment and carpet installation equipment because i can not get on my hands and knees any more extreme pain can not do that work any more. I can not clean furniture any more and i have went from being able to clean carpet from 12 hours in a day to only 3 or 4 and carefully pick my jobs i do. Every time i work my hands and fingers and arms go numb and i know its possible to cause more damage but its all i know. I can not sit in front of a pc for very long sitting for more than 20 minutes in an upright position causes extreme pain, i have to constantly go from sitting to standing.

So i would say my goal is to get the most i can get for what i am entitled to, i have been looking to see if maybe there is another job i can do ive been looking on USA Jobs but my problem is i can not lift, stand for a long time or sit so im limited. So i have to find the perfect job one that will let me transition allot from sitting to standing some light walking with no lifting (any ideas?) i know if i tried i could get TDIU but i want to try and work as long as i possibly can.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tlaf

I think I would go for TDIU if I were you. The jobs you do probably aggravate your condition. TDIU takes some time and one day you are going to be flat on your back with no income. Whose talking about bogus claims? If you are in as much pain as you say then maybe living a different kind of life style would be good. Do you think you are going to get the perfect job in an economy so bad that even illegals are staying home. Get as much as you can now before the VA decides they have been too easy on vets and make things harder. They can do that at the drop of a hat or election.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use