VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Vfw?

Rate this question

rydastar

Question

i am in middle of claim process for ptsd, /AO and heart stent. etc..

today i got this letter in mail from VFW, in it was something about being 10% dis. rating from v.a. effective 1/27/10

What it this? it has my claim # so i am thinking it is legit. however i have a few questions about the ptsd, AO part,,,

ant thoughts? it eluded to being eligible for medical care at v.a. med. center, and to contact them for more info...

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am appealing this (coronary heart disease )at this time, with a NOD..will see what happens. Also today i received phone call from V.A. hospit., they called to set up appointment for PTSD claim, the first appointment is for a COMPUTER evaluation? and next day an appointment with a physologist.

I guess the computer is to give the phychiatrist a starting point? i must say i am a bit apprehensive, my memory is not the best, and i can only hope my wife will be allowed to accompany me? but at least process is moving along. will up date next week after appointments.

RYd

You probably dont want to "refile this again". Instead, you file a NOD disputing the percentage unless your condition got worse since the effective date of the decision. The reason you file a NOD and not "refile again" is because it can cost you money on the effective date, as they will probably say you are asking for an "increase" in rating.

I agree with Berta, of course, that you can get additional compensation for PTSD.

What Berta was suggesting is that if Social Security rated you disabled for conditions you are service connected for, then you should and could use that to get a higher rating, as it will be hard for the VA to say you only have 10 percent if social security says its 100 percent. With social security they use the word "severe". The condition has to be "severe" to warrant disability.

While the VA does NOT have to do what SSD does, you can still use that to your advantage as evidence.