VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Ch.35 Benefits Extension

Rate this question

crawsfire

Question

It has been mentioned here that it is possible (and even common) that an extension is granted for recipients of CH.35 benefits. Does this mean that an extension is granted to the 45 month cap (you can get paid for more than 45 months of benefits) or is this just an extension to the time limit imposed on you to use the 45 months of benefits? Thanks.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience about extensions is that they usually say no and if you ask them to reconsider it goes to a panel who usually say yes.

According to my Voc Rehab counselor, you can get an extension of the 45 months for "good" reasons.

Nowadays, a 4 year degree is rarely completed in 4 years, and there are multiple reasons for this.

If your child has a specific degree in mind that will or has taken longer than 45 months, yes I would ask for an extension.

My voc rehab counselor seemed to think extensions were fairly easily obtainable, as long as everything else looks good, such as your child is making progress toward a degree, getting acceptablle grades, etc.

I think they would be especially lenient about the 45 months if you were, say, persuing a medical degree especially if you had an interest in working at the VA. But that is JMHO.

Budgetary constraints may have changed all this, because it was several years ago.

Edited by broncovet

Thanks for all the responses. The extension is for my wife who is in nursing school. She has used all of her 45 months and is almost done with her nursing program. If she can get an extension she will most likely start working on her masters rather than start working. I have requested an extension for her but have received no response yet.

So if you only go to school 1/2 time for one quarter are you still debited a full months worth of entitlement for each of the months in that quarter? The VA has subtracted one month of entitlement from the 45 available no matter the amount of classes taken which doesn't seem right.

I was just approved for Voc Rehab and I am in my 11th year and haven't even started school yet. Your counselor can give you extensions until you complete your education goal. I am very fortunate to be extended 36 months and not even opened a book yet! I wouldn't sweat the small stuff but I would recommend calling her counselor ASAP so that all of the paperwork is in place ahead of time. Good luck!