VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Anyone Know How The Va Handles Oxygen?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I saw my primary care doc on Friday and my O2 levels would not get above 88 and he was referring me to pulmonary for the oxygen tanks and a portable system for when I leave the house, I guess this congestive heart failure is going to take me apart a small piece at a time, they were taLking about sending me home on oxygen from the hospital in April but my numbers were 94 and 96 so they didn't

my wife also asked about getting one of those lightweight wheelchairs that she can fold up and put in the trunk or the back seat of the car I can't walk any distance anymore I get short of breath just walking to the kitchen

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Test, you really should talk to Jerrel Cook. He can really help you. You really need a Scooter and a lift fo rthe Vehicle to saye a lot of hard work for the Wife.

John

Test,

I am 4 liters of oxygen with exertion (walking, etc) and 5 liters while I am using the treadmill. The VA pays for all and Home Health Care comes out once a month and replaces all the tanks I use.

I use a pulse regulator which give me a pulse of oxygen every time I breathe in through my nose.

I use a condensor at night and it is continuse at 2.5 liters, also paid for by the VA and maintained by Home Health Care.

Last year when I went to my reunion they supplied me with a portable battery operated condenser.

I use an average of 11 B tanks and 4 small tanks per month. I have a side carrier for the B tanks and a back pack for the small tanks.

I have been using oxygen for a year because when I take off walking I go down to 73 or so which they said was hard on the right side of the heart so use your oxygen and take care.

Flatbroke

Everything Stays The Same Until It Changes

Test,

I am 4 liters of oxygen with exertion (walking, etc) and 5 liters while I am using the treadmill. The VA pays for all and Home Health Care comes out once a month and replaces all the tanks I use.

I use a pulse regulator which give me a pulse of oxygen every time I breathe in through my nose.

I use a condensor at night and it is continuse at 2.5 liters, also paid for by the VA and maintained by Home Health Care.

Last year when I went to my reunion they supplied me with a portable battery operated condenser.

I use an average of 11 B tanks and 4 small tanks per month. I have a side carrier for the B tanks and a back pack for the small tanks.

I have been using oxygen for a year because when I take off walking I go down to 73 or so which they said was hard on the right side of the heart so use your oxygen and take care.

Flatbroke

Everything Stays The Same Until It Changes

Flatbroke,

I have a question. My husband, Rockman is on oxygen (2 liters). He has a huge concentrator for use at night. He also has portable tanks, which he gets 11 each month delivered. All I know is that the size is M6/180L cylinder. Are your B tanks this size? Also what are the 4 small tanks you mentioned? We are going on a cruise in September and I am hoping that they will give Rockman a battery power concentrator.

His VA PCP wantes him to try and get a battery power unit while he still has private insurance, because it is much lighter for him. He has heart trouble and also pulmonary fibrosis. He goes in on the 20th to his private cardiologist and I do not look forward to this. I know he is worse. He will use up all of his leave by July, so he can stop working. Walking into work is nearly impossible. I believe that his cardiologist will have him take some FLMA and this will burn more of his hours and get him to quit earlier. He is at 60% now for AO IHD.

The sling backs they give you are so cheap. We went to Gander Mountain and got a great back pack and just took the water bladder out of it and put in his tank. It works great and will hold up.

Thanks for your time,

Mrs. Rockman

• HadIt.com Elder

thanks Flatbroke, the VA called at 9 am and the ladyon the phone stated that the pulmonary doctor had signed off on the order for oxygen and a home health care place in Lexington would call me later in the day or early tommorow and set up the delivery They called about 10 am they just left they left 22 B tabks and 4 smaller tanks (2 hours he said they would last) He said the B tanks last about 7 he showed my wife how to set up the pulse regulator but they also delivered a big convertor that pligs into the wall and it makes the oxygen and runs it thru a humidifier since I seldom leave the house I imagine most of the time I will be hooked up to the big unit when I am here at the computer and in bed, sure seems like a lot of equipment

my thanks to all who responded it's nice to see the VA react in a reasonable time period it's hard when you can't get enough air into your body and is hard to catch your breath