Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Government Shut Down

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If the government defaults and shuts down will work on VA claims stop? Will we even get our checks? The default date is August 2nd 2011. Do they send all non essential workers home from VA? I can't believe these idiots will let that happen. I don't want to get into which side is at fault just informational question.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

He is talking to Seniors on Social Security. I get SS check on 3rd. SS is collecting money no way should it not have enough funds.

@ iceturkee -

I believe he made the statement to make sure people realize the level of impact this particular type of shut-down can have. Last time, we didn't worrry about getting our benefits checks. This time, it's a whole other ball game. I believe neither party can afford (here we are again) to be the party that shut down government and as was so well put by jbasserr, really ticked off a lot of people/voters. Personally, I've had enough of the uncertainty these political tug-o-wars create in our lives. Both parties need to get over themselves, figure out a way ahead that makes sense to the casual observer and do what it can to stabilize the economy rather than trying to create fear for political gains.

well said.

• HadIt.com Elder

The real shot caller is Wall Street. They don't want a default and that is where all the money is for both political parties.

than why did the president state this morning (wednesday) that va checks might be effected?

To put some pressure on congress for the budget and come to some agreements.

• Founder

Here is a website that may help some http://factcheck.org/

About FactCheck.org

FactCheck.org Mission

We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.

FactCheck.org is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state and federal levels.

FactCheck.org Funding

Prior to fiscal 2010, we were supported entirely by three sources: funds from the APPC’s own resources (specifically an endowment created in 1993 by the Annenberg Foundation at the direction of the late Walter Annenberg, and a 1995 grant by the Annenberg Foundation to fund APPC’s Washington, D.C., base); additional funds from the Annenberg Foundation; and grants from the Flora Family Foundation. We do not seek and have never accepted, directly or indirectly, any funds from corporations, unions, partisan organizations or advocacy groups.

In 2010 we began accepting donations from individual members of the public for the first time, responding to many unsolicited offers of support from our subscribers. We launched our first public appeal for donations in April 2010.

At that time we also decided to disclose our finances in greater detail, so that our readers may judge for themselves whether or not any of those individual donations could influence us.

Our policy is to disclose the identity of any individual donor giving $1,000 or more. We also disclose the total amount, average amount and number of individual donations of under $1,000.

T-

Thanks for the link. I've read a few articles, and like the balanced approach they use. At least they don't seem to be skewed either way, politically.