Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Government Shut Down

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If the government defaults and shuts down will work on VA claims stop? Will we even get our checks? The default date is August 2nd 2011. Do they send all non essential workers home from VA? I can't believe these idiots will let that happen. I don't want to get into which side is at fault just informational question.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

During the last shut down they borrowed money from the TSP to keep paying the bills which congress then had to pay back, all benefit checks were paid no one has ever lost their monthly compensation checks SS SD SSI nor VA beneficiary's, That is one thing we don't have to worry about those checks will continue the failure to get the debt limit raised will cost us on our credit card bills and those that have adjustable rate mortgages and other financial obligations that can be adjusted if interest rates go up and the markets may start reacting sooner than Aug 2 so they don;t get caught flat footed lets hope the elected officials come to their senses and settle this soon

than why did the president state this morning (wednesday) that va checks might be effected?

@ iceturkee -

I believe he made the statement to make sure people realize the level of impact this particular type of shut-down can have. Last time, we didn't worrry about getting our benefits checks. This time, it's a whole other ball game. I believe neither party can afford (here we are again) to be the party that shut down government and as was so well put by jbasserr, really ticked off a lot of people/voters. Personally, I've had enough of the uncertainty these political tug-o-wars create in our lives. Both parties need to get over themselves, figure out a way ahead that makes sense to the casual observer and do what it can to stabilize the economy rather than trying to create fear for political gains.