Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hell Yes !

Rate this topic

Shellback-

First I sent in the 21-686c, marriage & birth certificates after receiving the envelope from the VA with official notification. Stupid me thought that I would start receiving additional pay for the dependants right away. Nope! Called 1-800# about 2 months later and they had no record of receiving form & certificates. Mailed them again certified and another set mailed through local DAV office. I even had to send in proof of my husband's divorce of previous wife. That held up things a bit because he didn't keep any of that and had to track her down. Luckily, she's military as well and was helpful.

The 2 SC claims that were rated did start paying right away BUT w/o dependants. So, when the other 2 deferred claims were rated I received a retro check that included all the back dependant pay as well as the 10% increase in disability.

I hope that makes sense..i don't often explain myself well.

Thank You !! good to know- You explained Yourself perfectly !! Damn- I hope I don't get jacked around like that with My 21-686c-but knowing the VA like We all do I would not be that surprised if they loose My forms a couple of times-this latest development has been My personal (best) experience with the VA to date !! I will keep My fingers crossed untill they inform Me of My PTSD CLAIM-personally I figured that it was the only one that I stood a chance at getting a rating for-I am still in a state of (shock)-I am contemplating filling for Gulf syndrome gastrol intestian problems now seeing how well I have done so far-I heard that it is a presumtive disease now- I will just have to keep riding (allot) to relieve My anxiety about the future PTSD rating !! I swear there is almost nothing better !!

!! nothing that a ride on the old Harley can't fix !!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!

You can also check ebenefits "payments" and see how much retro is coming & when it is going to be deposited or mailed.

Thanks for the heads up !! where is the payments tab located? all I have found is the History one- maybe the same ?and did not reflect anything new yet except for My clothing allowance :) and I also noticed about 3 extra forms show up on the form generator.

Yes, under "Compensation" you'll see "VA payment history"

Once accounting is done - they should update with amount, that is how it worked for us, but it may not be that way for everyone, so don't worry if you don't see it.

My husband's was listed 3 days before actual deposit as "scheduled" with date coming :0)

The Letter Generator showed the letters first - boy was I shocked!

I wasn't actually checking on his claim status... I actually had only logged in to print out a letter for proof of income - under "benefit verification" that was the only thing I had found useful on ebenefits before - I sure didn't realize that would change first....

I logged in to get our "benefit verification" letter for proof of income and LOW & BEHOLD it showed a LOT larger income that the 40% he normally got!

I screamed - literally , ran to tell my husband (who was asleep) and didn't believe me. Then I went back to the site and found lots of new forms - the commissary letter, the DEERs app. I didn't remember seen any of ths before. I was still a little skeptical until I saw the retro coming... then I KNEW it was real.

I am very happy for you & your family!

Are you GW1 ?

Thanks for the heads up !! where is the payments tab located? all I have found is the History one- maybe the same ?and did not reflect anything new yet except for My clothing allowance :) and I also noticed about 3 extra forms show up on the form generator.

Here's a link that's also fillable, or if you wish, just a heads up on what to expect when you do receive the form. Also a little tip, if there are any divorce's involved in your current marriage, you can either call (fee involved) or go to the Superior Court in the County where you filed (usually free) and request copies of the marriage license and divorce decree's. The faster you acquire these doc's the better!

VA Form 21-686c - Declaration of Status of Dependents (Fillable)

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

Yes, under "Compensation" you'll see "VA payment history"

Once accounting is done - they should update with amount, that is how it worked for us, but it may not be that way for everyone, so don't worry if you don't see it.

My husband's was listed 3 days before actual deposit as "scheduled" with date coming :0)

The Letter Generator showed the letters first - boy was I shocked!

I wasn't actually checking on his claim status... I actually had only logged in to print out a letter for proof of income - under "benefit verification" that was the only thing I had found useful on ebenefits before - I sure didn't realize that would change first....

I logged in to get our "benefit verification" letter for proof of income and LOW & BEHOLD it showed a LOT larger income that the 40% he normally got!

I screamed - literally , ran to tell my husband (who was asleep) and didn't believe me. Then I went back to the site and found lots of new forms - the commissary letter, the DEERs app. I didn't remember seen any of ths before. I was still a little skeptical until I saw the retro coming... then I KNEW it was real.

I am very happy for you & your family!

Are you GW1 ?

I like Your story and I agree with what You said on a different post about these very different success stories being great inspiration for Us all-

GW1 for Me-Great excitement in Your post of finding out about the 100%-I am happy for You guys !! I will Sail on with My quest for the elusive 100% also-God willing within a year or two and I am encouraged with My recent developments-I am fortunate I can still work My job doing luckily what I enjoy most days-taking things apart and putting them back together-I realize that is not the case for allot of others out there still fighting to just get anywhere with the VA and survive at work-Lord knows that I have met plenty of them that range from 20 to 76 -I had to force a Step Father to start going to the VA for medical help because He was costing My Mother $500 a month in Meds alone-I guess I can't shoot Him and hide the body without some kind of trail ?? Just kidding !! but lots of People out there just give in and give up-I like this site it is full of My fellow Americans that don't give in and am proud to be a part of it- Thanks for all Your info and support !!

Here's a link that's also fillable, or if you wish, just a heads up on what to expect when you do receive the form. Also a little tip, if there are any divorce's involved in your current marriage, you can either call (fee involved) or go to the Superior Court in the County where you filed (usually free) and request copies of the marriage license and divorce decree's. The faster you acquire these doc's the better!

VA Form 21-686c - Declaration of Status of Dependents (Fillable)

Thanks Cooter !! I appreciate the info.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use