Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gapabentin

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I took it for Migrain and Neuropathy and had to stop after a year. It had little effect and I hated the effects including the Weight gain.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been taking Gapabentin since July for Shingles (down the back of left leg) at 600mg 4 times a day. Also have PN but still have burning in both feet. But now I know why I started to creep up in my weight. Back on scheduled diet with calories and as much exercise as I can tolerate. I finaly have a PCP since mine passed away Nov last year. My first Appt is Feb 28,2012 and I have to drive to Columbia 2.5 hours away until they find a replacement here at Fort Wood. They are talking about raising my dosage up, but the max they said is 3600mg a day. We will see if that helps.

Kilo 4/12 VIET NAM
11/67-11/68 (TET)
HQ 1/10 LeJune
C 1/10 LeJune
68-69
HQ Marine Security Guard School
Great Lakes Brig - Corrections
11/69 - 3/70
Semper Fi Everything stays the same until it changes

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask about changing gabapentin to lyrica it is new generation and less side affects. Its been oked for for fibromyalga

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I started taking neurotin in 2003 after my injury --sciatic nerve severed and LMN injury-- and the onset of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome type two --whatever you want to call it. anyway, I quickly got to 3600 mg and then had the first suicide attempt. This drug is linked to increased suicidal ideation and attempts, many lawsuits have ensued over the years.

It is effective at combating the pain. I was off it for awhile, and I have started it again. Of course, who knows if that's such a great idea with my problems, but Lyrica pregablin makes me puke. Watch what you eat and be cognizant of the increased risk of suicide. Two links about the suicide increased risk.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a1CYnBA5tGV4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentin

• HadIt.com Elder

I am taking Cymbalta and it does seem to help because I am able to reduce my use of opiates. You have to beg the VA for it.

Ask about changing gabapentin to lyrica it is new generation and less side affects. Its been oked for for fibromyalga

Pete53, I was on Gabapentin for about 3 months thats some bad stuff. Lyrica now thats a lot better for the PN.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"