Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych C&p

Rate this question

hulamatt

Question

I had a psychologist, and he didnt ask any questions about hallucinations, SI/HI tendecy's, basically just asked about work history and timeline, He did ask about my delusions, and i told him that sometimes im rational about them and sometimes not, but he was checking if my rationale was there and im afraid hes just going to say im rational about it, when in fact it goes on and off, i have the delusions, but i choose not to act out on them anymore, doesnt mean i still dont think about them all the time and it overwhelms me alot of day, gave me some tests for memory and out the door, how do i get a psychiatrist to give me a C&P

Edit: My psychiatrist says my psychosis is stil there and is improving but not stable, but im afraid this doc due to the lack of questions and understanding is going to write otherwise

Edited by hulamatt

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

What kind of meds do you take? That is what probably keeps you from acting on delusions. This psychologist should understand that. You may get a good write up from this guy. Do you have official DX of schizophrenia in partial remission? That means you still have it but you are not psychotic with no insight. Are you able to work?

What kind of meds do you take? That is what probably keeps you from acting on delusions. This psychologist should understand that. You may get a good write up from this guy. Do you have official DX of schizophrenia in partial remission? That means you still have it but you are not psychotic with no insight. Are you able to work?

I am on risperidone, i go off and on it, when im on it i feel like i want to kill myself, when im off i have more insight into things but am delusional, i do have official DX but not for the partial, my letter written by my psychiatrist says "while he has been improving on appropriate antipsychotic medication, XXXXX still exhibits signifigant residual psychosis due to his illness and in not yet completely stabalized" as far as working, i can get a job but performance is poor, and i can't handle it, i just loose all my energy and feel wierd, im not as sharp as i use to be and it shows, Paranoia kicks in, doc said i couldnt work longer than 4 hours. I left the job to work for a friend he knew i hadparanoid schizophrenia, so the fact that i knew him and he was nice and understanding helped, the paranoia, i could take breaks as needed and he allowed me to do alot of things on my own so i wasnt freaking out all the time, he also didnt get too mad when i messed up, but he was my friend, im sure i would have been fired a bunch of times had he not been my friend

I don't think you can select the kind you get. I have a feeling, not based on fact, that the VA uses psychologist in the C and Ps more than MDs, because they're cheaper; also, a lot psychologists just don't believe in psychosis or that medications can help.

Your treatment file and everything should be taken into consideration when the rater makes the decision; and, maybe if the decision is bad you could file in your NOD the inadequacy of having a Psychologist perform a C and P on you when you have the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, because an MD that specializes in... well you know what I mean.

I know nothing... I am just bouncing some stuff at the wall. You could have your friend write something for you about how flipping difficult it is having you work for him. Have him write down all the accommodations he has to make for you. How many times it takes to have you complete simple tasks and so on. Don't increase your work deficiencies just report the ones you have.

Some one here might say something I listed above is a bad idea, and I would listen to them first. Especially sharon, berta, carlie, john999, and so on.

• HadIt.com Elder

The last three C&P exams I had to seek rebuttal reports to address their BS were performed by contract psychiatrists hired by the VA. One of the psychiatrists advertised locally in his private practice that he was a forensic psychiatrist. The psychiatrist reports can sometimes be rebutted by a licensed clinical psychologist who treats the veteran and writes more indepth logic as to the basis for their report. I was successful in getting the report written by the forensic psychiatrist thrown out just by citing medical literature. Can you imagine a report so full of holes that an advocte can get the report trashed. The guy is lucky he did not wind up in jail. I called his report "a false and misleading statement to a public servent". .

"Can you imagine a report so full of holes that an advocte can get the report trashed".

You bet! Been there and done that myself many times over the last 17 years (of which I was claimant except for 4-5 years.)

Medical evidence and common sense can overcome these lousy C & P exams.

But these days it often takes an IMO as well.

I rebutted every single C & P I ever had for my claims and that is even how I succeeded in my FTCA case.

But for my last AO DMII claim I did obtain 3 IMOs.And am already prepared to get an IHD IMO from a Cardio if my AO Nehmer claim IHD rating is wrong.