VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Changed Rating From Mdd To Ptsd

Rate this question

Michellee

Question

I thought you could only have one Mental health rating? I was always 30% for MDD after a C%P in Apr 2011 I have received claim results that my rating is now PTSD at 100%. I am very confused about all of this including the proposal for incompetency. Believe me I am not complaining but it just doesn't seem possible. Why would I be rated for PTSD as a result for increase of my MDD? I don't understand the diagnosis and how a C&P examiner can cause my diagnosis to change when the VAMC has been treating me for Major depression. I don't understand the proposal for incompentency either. None of this makes sense to me. I asked for an increase for my MDD, I didn't realize they were going to switch it or that they could.Lets see am I fell in a 12 foot hole just about broke my neck several years before that, I was raped by SSG Dequental in the barracks across from mine. I got Gonorrhea as a result which I had to get a shot. I was new to the barracks was only 18 years old virgin and had only been there 3 months when this happen. (One incident has nothing to do with the other) Oh the only thing that happen to this Unit Star Athelete was he was immediately transfered after I told my OIC which when the incident came to light, of course he denied. All they had to do was test the infant. No charges or police was notified. I was in Germany. First duty station. Years later during I fell in 12 foot hole while on active duty, with some other soldier there is accident report. I submitted it to the VARO and I was medically boarded out as a result of the accident. So I have some issues, I will admit that. I have several thoughts going on at once. Some days I just cannot get out of bed and I make everybody's life miserable. I don't know what its like to be without physical pain. I have days where the echoing in my ears go on for days and drives me nuts and then when I pick my head up feels like the room is spinning. I have days where I can't even lift my head up from the migraine. Every day is a struggle in some form or fashion. I am not rated for any ear issues or spinning room issues. I just mention that to show that I have alot of physical issue going on and yet they increase my MDD to PTSD and then the rating. So I am confused the more I think of all of this. I have foot drop and they deny my loss of use. Yet they gave me housebound. I am just confused as a bed bug. I will never again file for anything in this life. It's just to much for me to deal with. After I go through this incompetency issue. I am done. I am confused and anxious. Should I be?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

[Code of Federal Regulations]

[Title 38, Volume 1]

[Revised as of July 1, 2004]

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access

[CITE: 38CFR4.125]

[Page 446]

TITLE 38--PENSIONS, BONUSES, AND VETERANS' RELIEF

CHAPTER I--DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

PART 4_SCHEDULE FOR RATING DISABILITIES--Table of Contents

Subpart B_Disability Ratings

Sec. 4.125 Diagnosis of mental disorders.

(a) If the diagnosis of a mental disorder does not conform to DSM-IV

or is not supported by the findings on the examination report, the

rating agency shall return the report to the examiner to substantiate

the diagnosis.

(b) If the diagnosis of a mental disorder is changed, the rating

agency shall determine whether the new diagnosis represents progression

of the prior diagnosis, correction of an error in the prior diagnosis,

or development of a new and separate condition. If it is not clear from

the available records what the change of diagnosis represents, the

rating agency shall return the report to the examiner for a

determination.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

[61 FR 52700, Oct. 8, 1996]

x

x

x

Congratulations on your increase to 100% !!!

You have the 100% and house bound You are set. close it out and do not file for any thing until 20 years and a day.

show that I have alot of physical issue going on and yet they increase my MDD to PTSD and then the rating. So I am confused the more I think of all of this. I have foot drop and they deny my loss of use. Yet they gave me housebound. I am just confused as a bed bug. I will never again file for anything in this life. It's just to much for me to deal with. After I go through this incompetency issue. I am done. I am confused and anxious. Should I be?

• HadIt.com Elder

I would fight the incompetence issue. Did you get P&T. I would not say you were lucky, but by VA terms you hit a home run with the 100% and HB. Let things sink in and then you can consider the foot drop. Nobody is lucky to be disabled, but the VA did right by you if you can believe it. It took me years to go from 10% to 9o% and I never got a break, and had to fight for everything including HB. I think you money worries are over and now you need to take care of yourself.

• Founder

No. 1 if you are competent fight the incompetence issue, you don't need the hassle.

MDD vs PTSD, here's the thing as I understand it. Depression is part of PTSD, though that doesn't mean you can't have a diagnosis of MDD and a separate diagnosis of PTSD. I have two diagnosis MDD and PTSD it pays the same. From what you described that would be enough to give many PTSD, I wouldn't worry to much about switching from MDD to PTSD, PTSD encompasses a lot of things besides depression, though as in my case you may a separate clearly diagnosable separate problem. But like I said it pays the same.

Thanks guys for your support. I have been torn up about all this. So many mixed feelings and I don't sleep well, very tired and anxious. Thankful for the other ratings besides the proposal. I am done as far as claims. I just don't have the patience left. I will be fight the proposal as long as I can. I am not getting rid of my guns. I am going to do like Pete and Tbird and Berta says, I will need to present my case and what I am able to do and that's it. Jim Strickland site has been a Godsend. It has not been an easy road getting to get to this point. I have been traveling down this road for over 10 years with my claims. So by no means think it was just that easy. I have been in treatment for MH, I have been hospitilized. I have attempted suicide several times in the past and almost succeeded. I have blacked out. I have caused harm to people even those I love and the law has gotten involved. I never meant any harm. I have been in and out of the VAMC for physical problems as well. So it has not been easy. I am doing much better in my eyes and managing. Today is a good day. Thanks again. As far as the name thingy in my previous post. I don't care one bit and he will burn in, well never mind. If it bothers you don't read it.

Edited by Michellee