VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu For Ptsd

Rate this question

nycsucks

Question

Hello to All,

I am a female veteran who served from 04-07. I did one tour in Iraq, worked QRF and experienced MST. I don't want to go into detail due to my illness. I was medboarded even though I did not want to get out. I was stationed in Ft.Carson at that time their Psych Unit was being investigated for mistreating patients who had signs of PTSD. It was a painful time in my life which still angers me. When I got medboarded I was not told about any benefits I just got a one way ticket home. I went to the VA and was told to file a claim. I received 50% for ptsd and 10% lower back pain. I was told by my Psych at the VA to file for an increase since it is impossible for me to obtain and keep a job due to my meds which include, Lithium, Celexa, Valium, Abilify, Restoril and many more. I had a 2nd C&P and my rating was raised to 80%, 70 for PTSD, 10% for lower back pain, 10% migraines. My Psych at the VA advised me to file for TDIU and I did in Jan 2010. When I call the VA I was told it is still in the developmental phase even though my claim is an established claim and I have 2 letters from 2 different VA Psych's stating I cannot work. It's been a Year now and still nothing. I will soon be homeless now and feel hopeless. It seems none cares and they wonder why the suicide rate is so high among veterans. If anyone has any advice please share it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

yes it is HORRIBLE in nyc, houston street is TRASH and so are the so called VA Representatives...Can you believe I WORKED at the VA hospital in NYC for one year and they had the nerve to make me work in the MENTAL HEALTH unit even though I was 50% disabled for my PTSD!?!?!? which made me even worst working with patients that are as sick as me. I missed many days due to my insomia and when I talked to my superiors about it they said they would fire me if I didn't want to work whereever it is that they want so i QUIT my job due to my illness in 1/11 and now I have to wait around for these NON-VETERANS and idiots to work on my claim. While working at the VA i noticed many patients that are 100% have never even deployed? I guess it's who you know not what you have done. Trust me I met many liars and crooks at the VA. Bunch of bullshit. My SSD was also denied and I' am still fighting for that....all i have is questions no answers and no one to trust. Sad Sad World we live in....

"so i QUIT my job due to my illness in 1/11 and now I have to wait around for these NON-VETERANS and idiots to work on my claim. While working at the VA i noticed many patients that are 100% have never even deployed? I guess it's who you know not what you have done. Trust me I met many liars and crooks at the VA."

It will be good for your claim if your MH doc states that you are unemployable due to your PTSD and

supports the opinion with full medical rationale.

FWIW - there are many veterans employed by both, the VAMC's, VBA and the VARO's.

Being deployed is not a prerequisite to service connection or the percentage evaluation.

There are thousands and thousands of veterans that never left USA soil and / or served during

Peace time, yet experienced injury's on active duty, that leave them with life long residual disability.

A vet is a vet and we have no reason to try to penalize vets that were not deployed to a conflict or a war.

There ARE some very, very good people employed by VA, VBA and the VAMC's both veteran and civilian.

Somewhere during having your claim issues adjudicated - there were some thing done right or

you wouldn't even have the current 80 percent SC yet.

Difficulties are not limited to the NY VARO.

There was a court order last year that finally forced the VBA to re-adjudicate claims (Nehmer) for disabilities

due to herbicide exposure. Those vets have had to wait 10 - 20 - 30 and 40 years.

This alone took some of the VBA's work force off of general claims. It is clearing out now and more claims

will get adjudicated.

I see your frustrations and agree it's not a great system, but for now - it's what we have and other countries

sure don't offer any of these benefits to their veterans, so in that respect we are much more fortunate.

Hang in there.

JMHO

Hello to All,

I am a female veteran who served from 04-07. I did one tour in Iraq, worked QRF and experienced MST. I don't want to go into detail due to my illness. I was medboarded even though I did not want to get out. I was stationed in Ft.Carson at that time their Psych Unit was being investigated for mistreating patients who had signs of PTSD. It was a painful time in my life which still angers me. When I got medboarded I was not told about any benefits I just got a one way ticket home. I went to the VA and was told to file a claim. I received 50% for ptsd and 10% lower back pain. I was told by my Psych at the VA to file for an increase since it is impossible for me to obtain and keep a job due to my meds which include, Lithium, Celexa, Valium, Abilify, Restoril and many more. I had a 2nd C&P and my rating was raised to 80%, 70 for PTSD, 10% for lower back pain, 10% migraines. My Psych at the VA advised me to file for TDIU and I did in Jan 2010. When I call the VA I was told it is still in the developmental phase even though my claim is an established claim and I have 2 letters from 2 different VA Psych's stating I cannot work. It's been a Year now and still nothing. I will soon be homeless now and feel hopeless. It seems none cares and they wonder why the suicide rate is so high among veterans. If anyone has any advice please share it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I Noticed that after I got awarded 80% the VA seemed to take my situation less seriously. Like 80% is going to make me better just because I get more money. IDK how long IU claims take but mine has been open less than three months and I have my final C&P on the 31st. The VA isn't no where near perfect but I am glad we have the va.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I would start by talking to a VA social worker about becoming homeless. It is hell when you are unable to support yourself and have to wait on the VA to crank out your decision. Many here have gone through this phase. I would go to the VARO and talk to a couselor about your financial situation and I would just keep asking and pressing them for help. They have programs for homeless vets especially in your case where you have a high SC rating. Have you applied for social security disability? You are also eligible for a NSC pension for the time being. Don't give up. I got SSD a year before I got TDIU. You are a service connected vet. You are not a drunk or a bum. The VA has a responsibility to you.

John

You are also eligible for a NSC pension for the time being.

John

John,

Her current SC at 80 percent most likely knocks out eligibility of the NSC pension,

I believe the 80 percent pays a higher rate.