VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Generics

Rate this topic

We have a new VA psychiatrist at our rural OMH clinic. She's wonderful - she's new to the VA and hasn't yet lost her mind dealing with the administration.

She is frustrated with the pharmacy side of things. She told us (DH & I are both patients) that she doesn't like generics, especially from the lowest bidder. She said that by law, generics are allowed to vary from the patented formula by 20% in strength. This could mean the generic is 20% stronger or 20% weaker than the brand-name drug.

Does that sound right? I mean, I like her and feel like she knows her stuff, but can they really be that far off the formula?

It certainly would explain why sometimes it feels like the meds aren't working as well as the month before, etc.

It seems bizarre to play so fast & loose with MH meds. What if one month my anti-anxiety is stronger and the same month my anti-depressant is weaker... wouldn't that really put me on a slippery slope??

And why the Heck are they prescribing so much gabepentin to a person with MDD? Oops, that's another thread.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a new VA psychiatrist at our rural OMH clinic. She's wonderful - she's new to the VA and hasn't yet lost her mind dealing with the administration.

She is frustrated with the pharmacy side of things. She told us (DH & I are both patients) that she doesn't like generics, especially from the lowest bidder. She said that by law, generics are allowed to vary from the patented formula by 20% in strength. This could mean the generic is 20% stronger or 20% weaker than the brand-name drug.

Does that sound right? I mean, I like her and feel like she knows her stuff, but can they really be that far off the formula?

The strengths of active ingredients must be consistant with the amounts the RX is written for.

JMHO

Argh. Thanks Carlie. That's what I always thought.

I talked with DH about this topic last night and he suspects that the psychiatrist is just repeating bunk that she's heard from the pharma reps who come/came to her private office.

Sigh. I wasn't hoping she was right about the generics. I was just hoping she knew her peas from her carrots.

I'm glad that I brought it up here and got straightened out. Sigh, again. Another VA doc whose words much be liberally salted before consumption. :(

Edited by hedgey

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with generics is ok. Although the VA dispenses under generic names many of my prescriptions are actually brand.. Example my cosar actually came in bottle with VA label calling it lorsartin. In the 90;s xanax was xanax,

If your med does not seem to be right generic or brand you should tell your Doc.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

I was placed on generic tegretol for two years after using the brand name for 25 years which controlled

my siezures I started having seizures again with the generics I told my neurologist and PCP about what was happening but nothing was done about my situation for over a year then I finally had my PCP write prescribtions for me to use outside the

VA pharmacy which cost me 160.00 a months this lasted for 3 months until this was taken care of I am now recieving the brand name pink tablets again seizure free and was never reimbused for the money I had to spend for tegretol. The generics might work for some people but not for everyone.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hedgay

The VA prescribes that generic neurontin for pain control, PTSD and MDD. I think it is cheap and hard to OD on so they use it a lot. The drugs the VA really hates to prescribe are narcotics and drugs of the valium family.