Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They will also test you to see if you can work. Don't fret about it just something to endure and the film shows some things that ILP does so watch it carefully. The film is what I used to get mys stuff.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Well what can I say... a waste of time..

First no video , just a slide presenation of what the purpose of voc rehab is, with one slide on the ILP. The you have this guy reading from the slides like adults can't read.... Then a woman from the Texas veteran commission speaks for about 15 minutes.. all in all 2.5 hours of waste and to make it worse.. 12 others besides myself and there are six seperate conversations going at once.. not a good place to be if you have a hearing problem.

But the real kicker.. when I finally went to speak to the counselor Ms. Pannell, the first thing she said is we can't do anything.......As God is my judge.... that is the first thing she said... then we talked for about 15 minutes, and I told her that I expected her to say this , but that she needed to try to do something before saying she can't.. then she tells me the first step is the home visit. But she really wants me to go through my PCP before she trys to get anything, I told her.. do the home study and lets see what happends... but that no isn't a word I understand so we will see .. what happends now.....

Since this is what I expected.... I am not disappointed yet....

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask your PCP to recommend you although this should not be necessary

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I am adding a listing of wed cites that the voc rehab folks gave me..

it contains information on job searches and cites for the disabled hope it helps anyone

vocrehablisting.PDF

So I figure nothing ventured is nothing gained - I am going for it. I have tried since the beginning of the week to contact someone at Voc Rehab in Memphis, to find out where to send the filled out VA Form 28-1900. I finally got through to someone today, and found out that it has to be sent to the Nashville RO. There was no place on the form to indicate Independent Living Program, and the lady I spoke to said that I have to wait to hear from Nashville.

So from reading what others have gone through, I will talk to one of my providers as soon as I can about this and try to get their recommendation - I hope it is not difficult to get. There is a neat listing of what some other veterans were able to get on the VBN website.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

Ok so now I feel a screw job coming...

Today I received a letter that states:

We have received you claim for vocational rehabilitation under chaper 31.

An evaluation of all the issues surrounding you case will be completed to determine your entitlement to

vocational rehabilitation benefits.This evaluation is required of all applicants for vocational rehabilitations.

During this evaluation, you will be able to provide information which will help us to make a fair and equitable

decision on your claim.

If required, you will be notified by seperate letter of the need to meet with a VA Vocational Rehabilitaion and

counseling staff to explore your situtation further. At that time you many bring any available copies of school records, transcrips, and or test records with you.

Inclosed VA Form 4107 ( Your rights to appeal our decision)

Since I already attended a meeting on the 27th of Mar, this letter seems out of place. Maybe it is another

form letter, that they have to send, I don't know. I find it interesting that a VA Form 4107 was included in the letter, since no decision has been made. In fact at that meeting on 27Th Mar the counselor stated a home study would be done.... anyway I don't trust the va, and feel a shaft job coming.. but I hope I am wrong....