Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aid Users...... Help!

Rate this question

Teac

Question

The VA just issued me some new Top of the Line Phonak Ambra BTE aids. I've worn them most of the day and I actually like them compared to my old hearing aids.. but then..

All of a sudden I have to turn them down to get rid of a.... "running water ? windy sound" ?... of course if I turn them down they don't do me much good.

anyone else had this kind of problem? If so do you know the cure? Or will I just have to wait until my next appointment in three weeks....

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Try these things before you take them back to the VA to fix/adjust:

1. Clean the aids thoroughly. They dont work well if there is dust/wax etc on/in them. Many hearing aids have a "microphone" which is very small and a little dust or wax on that part will make them do crazy things. Likewise, there is often a vent hole in the aids that gets clogged with dust or wax. I use a nylon string, such as the one a price tag is attached to clothing on. They work great if you lost the orginal nylon cleaner. Just shove the nylon string down the vent hole a few times to remove wax.

2. Of course, make sure they are also dry.

3. Many hearing aids, such as my Phonaks also have a button with settings. Mine has a "one beep", a "two beep" or "3 beep" settings.

If its on the wrong setting they wont work right. Mine are always on "one beep" except I sometimes use 2 beep in crowds. 3 beep is for telephone, which mine dont work with the phone well at all.

4. Finally, try removing the battery and reinstalling..its like "rebooting" the program.

5. I never use my aids where it is moist...either right after showering or outdoors in rain. Keep them dry. You can get a dessicant that dries out hearing aids at night when they are not in use. I used to use this, but most of the time do not need it.

Did you have ITE's before or BTE's? It could be that your ears are trying to adjust to the different type of HA's.

No I've always used BTE....but yes I am getting use to them as they are new

Try these things before you take them back to the VA to fix/adjust:

1. Clean the aids thoroughly. They dont work well if there is dust/wax etc on/in them. Many hearing aids have a "microphone" which is very small and a little dust or wax on that part will make them do crazy things. Likewise, there is often a vent hole in the aids that gets clogged with dust or wax. I use a nylon string, such as the one a price tag is attached to clothing on. They work great if you lost the orginal nylon cleaner. Just shove the nylon string down the vent hole a few times to remove wax.

2. Of course, make sure they are also dry.

3. Many hearing aids, such as my Phonaks also have a button with settings. Mine has a "one beep", a "two beep" or "3 beep" settings.

If its on the wrong setting they wont work right. Mine are always on "one beep" except I sometimes use 2 beep in crowds. 3 beep is for telephone, which mine dont work with the phone well at all.

4. Finally, try removing the battery and reinstalling..its like "rebooting" the program.

5. I never use my aids where it is moist...either right after showering or outdoors in rain. Keep them dry. You can get a dessicant that dries out hearing aids at night when they are not in use. I used to use this, but most of the time do not need it.

Thanks for the response, I've used hearing aids since 2005 so I have already tried everything you mentioned. Although these are new hearing aids just got them and had only worn them for 2-3 hours when I started to get the weird noise as I described in my initial post. My aids are programed just the same as yours... except that the third setting is silent because I don't use a phone to my ear.. I use speaker phones to avoid feedback. They are dry, In fact the va issued me a " professional hearing aid dryer" some time ago. I just stick them in the dryer turn it on and it goes about 5 minutes , it drys them and they are ready for the next days use....

I put them in this morning and the noise was gone so who knows why they were making the noise.... I guess I am just going to have to see how they do until my next appointment...

Why didn't the VA tell both of you guys about the blue tooth device you can use with your hearing aids and cell phone and TV. You can hear your cell or TV thru your HA's, you can even mute the TV and still hear it. My wife loves it. You need to ask about it at your next appt.