Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Tdiu, Ssdi, & Federal Disability Retirement

MPsgt

Question

I was approved for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) & Federal Disability Retirement (FDR) under the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). I could no-longer work & I had filed for IU before I was approved for both SSDI & FDR. I was denied IU but, with time & help from my wife. I appealed their decision by filing a Notice of Disagreement (NOD). I suffer from severe PTSD 70% and a couple other disabilities that total 80%. After I was award SSDI I submitted the award letter for consideration to my local VA office in Louisville, KY. According, to eBenefits a decision is still waiting to be made on my appeal for IU. I was just recently approved for FDR too. My question is, Should I submit a copy of my FDR approval to the VA office making the decision on my IU? Could the submission of my FDR approval letter just prolong a pending decision? I've already been waiting 8 months for a favorable decision. I appreciate any and all knowledgable responses.

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA knows you are on SSDI that should be enough. However, I was federal employee as well so if they have you disability Form 50 that shows exactly the last day you worked. I submitted my OPM retirement paperwork but it was early in the process. Mine worked almost just like yours. I would say you are batting 1000.

John

If the VA knows you are on SSDI that should be enough. However, I was federal employee as well so if they have you disability Form 50 that shows exactly the last day you worked. I submitted my OPM retirement paperwork but it was early in the process. Mine worked almost just like yours. I would say you are batting 1000.

John

John, My appeal for an increase to IU is located @ BVA as of 08 Jun 2012. On 05 Aug 2012, I received my Blue Book indicating my disability retirement had been finalized. Do you recommend I provided a copy of this BB to the BVA? I believe the VA is giving me the run arounds and are reluctant to award me IU. I think it should be open and closed. I have being turned away not once but, twice for VR&E over a one year period. The last of which was 16 Oct 2012. My VSO stated that I need to have my VR&E counselor send him a letter stating unemployability. I did this today 23 Oct 2012, and the counselor understood what I needed done. VSO further stated, I need to get an other statement from my Psychologist stating unemployability too. So it too can be sent to BVA. However, I don't think the Psychologist will state unemployability. Should I straight out ask the Psychologist for the letter anyway? I have a counselor at the VetCenter willing to state unemployability within their legal "jurisdiction." The BVA knows about my SSDI too. Do you have any further advice?

Regards,

Jon

All this info is no longer with the VARO. It's with the BVA. Does it matter at this point if my Psychologist won't deem me unemployable on paper or will all the submitted evidence be sufficient?

All this info is no longer with the VARO. It's with the BVA. Does it matter at this point if my Psychologist won't deem me unemployable on paper or will all the submitted evidence be sufficient?

If your VARO has not already considered this "info", (evidence) -

then be sure you have submitted a signed Waiver Of VARO Consideration

or the BVA will HAVE to remand the claim back to your VARO for their consideration

of this "info" (evidence).