Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Meeting With Pyschol Dr.

Rate this question

Hollis

Question

Last Thursday I had a meeting with psycholoist, this is the same Dr that gave the 16 weeks group therapy. I felt very relaxed while we was talking, little did I know he was typing every word I was saying to the questions he was asking. At the end I got a copy of the questionair, The GAF WAS 55, SO I GUESS I WILL GET LOW BALLED from the VA on the rating. All I can say is don't let your guard down, when you know the DR. Thanks to all who makes a comment on this.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Last Thursday I had a meeting with psycholoist, this is the same Dr that gave the 16 weeks group therapy. I felt very relaxed while we was talking, little did I know he was typing every word I was saying to the questions he was asking.

At the end I got a copy of the questionair, The GAF WAS 55, SO I GUESS I WILL GET LOW BALLED from the VA on the rating.

All I can say is don't let your guard down, when you know the DR. Thanks to all who makes a comment on this.

As John already asked, was this a C&P examination?

Doesn't sound like one to me but regardless, just because a GAF score is 55 sure doesn't equate to

a "LOW BALLED" evaluation for percentage level.

GAF score is only one little part factored in - there is much more than a GAF score in consideration

of the percentage evaluation.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your treating doctor gave you a GAF of 40 my question would be "why are you not in the hospital?".

If your regular treating doctor gives you a really low GAF I think he/she would have a responsibility to admit you to the hospital because you would be psychotic. If you read the schedule for rating mental disabilites anthing under a GAF of 40 means you are really not in full contact with reality. When I went to the VA hospital ER I was admitted and given a GAF of 40. This was ten years ago, but still if a doctor gives you a GAF of much below 50 you may find youself involuntarily admitted because if you leave the hospital and kill yourself in the parking lot the doctor's ass is in deep $#@#.

John

Carlie and John, no this was not a C&P just a private meeting with him. I have a copy of the examination that I am suppose to send in when I file a claim for PTSD. I was just asking to be more informed when I do file with the VA. AS WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THEM.

Thanks to both of you for the reply, as always it is so very helpful when asking questions on here. We are blessed to have a dedicated group of veterans who help other veterans out

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have a DX from a VA doctor that you have PTSD I would file a claim now. There is no point in waiting since it may take years to even get a C&P exam. You will have plenty of records by then. Are you able to work?

@ Hollis…PTSD is 1 day at a time I would file a claim now for PTSD because like the others state it takes months even years to receive a decision. Are you able to work? Also it is important to remember that the MH Dr is not your friend don’t be relax around him/her let them know the truth about how you feel at your worse times not at your best times – that was one of my biggest issues. Until I learned that they needed to know how I felt when I was at my worse not how I felt when I was in front of them for my appt.