Rate this question

95bmp

Question

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you filed a claim for PTSD? If you have and it is processing let the VA make a decision sometimes they can get the claim right the first time and other times you climb hills and I think the rules to hire a lawyer require that you be denied at the VARO level and then YES you can then get a lawyer, the lawyer will get 20% by law that is what they are allowed and expenses. Make sure the lawyer you retain is VA certified and they know the rules if you are having to appeal to BVA or have the lawyer do your VARO reconsideration or what ever they decide to do

yes there are some very good lawyers that practice VA law, I used a very good ex JAG lawyer, that was also a law school professor teaching VA law like everything else VA Law is different

"A lawyer" varies in skill level, size and shape. However, according to the BVA, your odds are better than with VSO's. Read the chairmans report here:

http://www.bva.va.gov/docs/Chairmans_Annual_Rpts/BVA2011AR.pdf

On page 22, it shows that you have about 30% of getting your claim and another 49% chance of remand where you could also win benefits. So, the chances of winning are better with a lawyer.

• HadIt.com Elder

K&K is willing to take CUE claims. A lot of these lawyers won't front their services on this kind of claim because their is risk beyond a clerical error.

My honest opinion is that since they started allowing lawyers to assist in your fight with the VA, the system is becoming much like the SSDI. You almost have to have a lawyer to win your case with social security and it is getting more that way with the VA. The only exception is the OIF/OEF vets with new/recent claims. JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

IF a lawyer take someones case [ptsd] without any money up front,what are the odds of winning the case.

I'd say your odds are probably 95%, in your favor, provided you use the right atty/firm and you have good evidence. Even without good evidence your chances are better w/a good atty. Remember, the atty should specialize in VA law. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I strongly suggest a firm like Bergman / More

using an ordinary attorney who is not versed on VA law or t he title 38 is risky.

Only attorneys who know these regs and practice solely on behalf ov veterans is your best advantage.

Would you let a Proctologist do open heart surgery on you????

JH