VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice (Coronary Artery Disease)

Rate this question

tmoe

Question

Hello everyone,can anyone give me any advice on getting coronary artery disease service connected. Short

story of what happen I been having trouble with my legs since 79,doctor said it was my back,I had surgery on back

in 2003 and still had pain in legs. 2011 in May I had a doppler test & find a blockage in the hip I had surgery in May

to place a stent and since then i had four more stent and it is block again,so this make 5 surgery in a year for same thing.

Now maybe a by-pass maybe the best option so the dr says.

I am sc for 40% ddd, 20%radiculopathy both legs,20%carpal tunnel, 20% shoulder impingment, 30%mdd. I think I was

miss diagnose with my conditions with the legs but what can I do?.I was not in Nam to relate it to AO. This could take me out

and not sc for it and now a by-pass maybe. I take blood pressure meds but not sc and i did not have blood pressure problems

until the back operation and pain meds I was taking. I just don't see no way out on this one CAN hadit elders or anyone give me any

advice on this or how to proceed Thanks tmoe!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am not a doctor but am familiar with many cardio issues.

Severe leg pain can have many causes, one being peripheral arterial disease.(PAD)

“I think I was

miss diagnose with my conditions with the legs but what can I do?.I was not in Nam to relate it to AO. “

I feel you need to get a strong IMO (Independent Medical Opinion) to support a claim either for the SC disabilities as aggravating the heart disease (this is possible but might be very difficult) or an IMO to see if you in fact were misdiagnosed and then this would support an “as if” SC rating under 1151.

Although radiculopathy can cause pain in legs, I noticed that you did not post here any of the other symptoms of this disabillity.

radhttp://www.medicinenet.com/radiculopathy/page2.htm#what_are_the_symptoms_of_radiculopathy

Radiculapathy is a neuropathy, meaning it affects the nerves.

PAD (Peripheral artery Disease)however is different,

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/PeripheralArteryDisease/Symptoms-and-Diagnosis-of-PAD_UCM_301306_Article.jsp

As this next link states:

“As stated earlier, PAD often goes undiagnosed. Untreated PAD can be dangerous because it can lead to painful symptoms, loss of a leg, increased risk of coronary artery disease and carotid atherosclerosis. Because people with PAD have this increased risk for heart attack and stroke, the American Heart Association encourages people at risk to discuss PAD with their healthcare professional to ensure early diagnosis and treatment. “

If you,in fact , were misdiagnosed and have PAD, this could be the possible cause of your heart disease and VA would have to SC the PAD and the CAD as secondary ,under Section 1151.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/PeripheralArteryDisease/Symptoms-and-Diagnosis-of-PAD_UCM_301306_Article.jsp

If you do seek an IMO, the doctor will need to focus on the Doppler that you had, as well as any CT scans and any MRIs, ECHOs etc, as well as your entire medical record.

“still had pain in legs. 2011 in May I had a doppler test & find a blockage in the hip I had surgery in May

to place a stent and since then i had four more stent and it is block again,so this make 5 surgery in a year for same thing.

Now maybe a by-pass maybe the best option so the dr says.”

Do you have a complete copy of your VA med records?

I am not a doctor but if I were you I sure would get a second opinion opinion on the leg pain from a cardiologist and ,if the diagnosis VA gave you was wrong, with any medical potential that this misdiagnosis caused your heart disease (which is possible as the AHO says it raises the risk of CAD, as in their link , then I would file a Section 1151 ( these claims are explained in our Section 1151 forum, as well as a FTCA case.If I were you.

You would need an IMO to support that possible type of claim and maybe the second opinion doctor would prepare one for you.

We have the criteria that VA wants for this type of IMO in our IMO forum and also I posted a template in the 1151 forum too as those IMOs for 1151 issues must support ,with medical rationale, referencing your medical records, that

1. VA misdiagnosed you and

2. You have suffered additional disabilities due to their misdiagnosis.

This too might factor in, for an 1151 claim and/or FTCA matter, if VA misdiagnosed and inappropriately treated you:

“I take blood pressure meds but not sc and i did not have blood pressure problems

until the back operation and pain meds I was taking. I just don't see no way out on this one.”

Bertha thank you for taking time to responce,I just return from hospital the dr don't want to add another stent

i will have to see a cardiologist tuesday to see about doing a by-pass and i don't have too much of a choice but I

sure don't want to have this scare is h*ll. I do have all medical records on disk and the dr sais its PAD.

The problem I was having was stinging,burning in the legs & feet. Could not stand but 5-10 min feet and toes goes numb

& cold.Can't walk up steps or run or walk over 40 yards burning all over my legs and feet and this is why the Army medical

discharge me I had back surgery for same thing and i still have the same problem until in May when they find the blockage

and after they fix that i could walk a mile no burning or stinging nothing. When it stops up same problem again.Thats why I've

been telling people check blood flow in your legs before any back surgery. Just wish I would have done the test eariler now my back is

mess up from surgery and it was PAD all along I learn the hard way. I will look over the forums and take your advice because I need

this sc and some info on this by-pass a cut from groin to knee its over for me look like.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need a medical nexus but this can be done.

First of all the PAin and back painm witht he service connected issue leads to elevated blood pressure secondary to the DDD.

Then add the CAD as a secondary to that.

B HTN can be associated to pain.

J

j B HTN can be associated to pain. I thought this also but after reading some post seem like its hard to do

but doctors will tell you pain will cause your pressure to be higher than normal. I did read one post where as he

got sc secondary to pain. I just need the correct way to go about getting it sc. Also just like Bertha said the dr said

I could lose my leg or foot if I don't get this fix but a by-pass this is my biggest worry. I just don't know. I hope that man up

stairs and I are on good terms dry.png

Yes-I was sure you had been misdiagnosed.

This link might help you and others:

Not only is PAD different from radiculopathy, it is also a different disability than PN:

A good IMO doctor would certainly be able to support a nexus for your HBP if,in fact, they can support a 1151 claim by stating your misdiagnosed and undertreated PAD caused or contributed to the development of your heart disease and your HBP.

You are right- VA can do a Doppler of the arteries on the legs that might reveal PAD and it could save lives and further disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

A CT scan of your legs will show blockages. PAD is more serious than PN since a blockage in the leg can sometimes break loose and travel to the heart. Cramping in legs is a sign of PAD.