Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Continue To Go To Ptsd Clinic?

Rate this question

john503

Question

I been in treatment for nearly two years and I am stuck at trauma processing. Today I told my social worker that I don't think I'll ever be ready to talk about my trauma again. She wants me to just sit in on group and listen and see what happens.

What should I do if group doesn't help? Do I keep wasting my social worker's time just to keep an up to date record for the RO, or what happens if I just go to get my refills?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you P&T or are you trying for 100% or TDIU? If you go and your social worker sees what a hard time you have talking in group she/he is going to know that you are not getting better and that you still have a major disability. Is it a terrible ordeal for you to go to this group therapy? If I was trying for a higher rating I would go. If you could talk about it then it might help. I went to group therapy for 20 years but it was private group. It helped me see myself as others saw me. I was very paranoid and it helped me learn to trust a few people. Also you see people in worse shape than yourself and how they are coping.

John

I'm waiting on a in person hearing at my local VA to decide if I got 100%, IU, or stay at 70%. The reason in my denial letter was I play strategy pc games. Most of the time I get out of the house only to help unload the car, lawn care, or help wife with baby. The past five days I only went outside to get my son out of his car seat. Every now and then I'll have a little streak of getting out and going to the store with my wife and son. Even sit on the back patio.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is just my opinion: I go to group counseling and it's basically my only public outing. I go there to help others. Most of the time I'm doing okay, but sometimes, rarely, I'm not. I use avoidance therapy. If I avoid everything, I'm okay!

Many vets, quit, once they win their claim. I disagree w/that. Should the VA decide to check you out and find that you are not doing counseling they could redo your claim and propose to reduce. Using the theory that if you're not seeking care than you must be cured! (jmo). Just because you receive meds from the VA doesn't mean you are taking them. Remember this is just my opinion. Good luck, whatever you decide! The choice is obviously yours.

pr

Hi 11cvolley, hang in there brother, I am talking from my own experience, and counseling myself at the same time, John is right on with His opinions, not everyone in group opens up at the same time, some groups and Dr. Are better than others.

I am doing the therapy for over five years, and most time I want to quit also, but really that is one of my only outlet to be around service members that we have something in common. Just hang in there, and get better.

i went to ONE group meeting .... it was just not a fit for me... i have been one on one in the states its one meeting every 2 months... during my time in the philippines it was 2 meetings per month .self pay... I dont know how anyone else handles things but seems in group many want to talk about stuff like a rambo movie and because its a PTSD group no one is guiding the meetings , I personally dont like to talk about stuff from back then except for people i meet , and not the fighting stuff so group for me did not work, I to this day dont know why but days i get mad very easy over nothing and other days i am so sad i have to fight crying at a movie ... the best part about the philippines is the doctor visit was never more then 30 dollars for over one hour but i could vent and get stuff out where in group often you want to hold back

robert51, good to see you chime in on the conversations. Sorry to know that the group thing has not work for you thus far, but as I stated before, all groups are not made up well, some better than others, it also depends on the Dr. To keep it on track, and sometimes even thou is our group, I ask the Dr. Direct questions about her opinions, to get the subject back on track.

I don't understand the fee base thing, or you did this with a private Dr. Or social worker on your own. V.A. Is the way to go (MHO)

Don't worry about the Rambo stuff, it usually wear off after several sessions, you are the one that you should be concentrating on, if today is not your day to talk, try to talk about something that you are comfortable with. The group has to gel and be trusted first, before any significant work can come out..

The crying spells are going to be there, there are some techniques to change your state, and let your S.U.D.S. Go down. You haven't mention any Meds. If you have for anxiety from your Dr. Take them, I find mines work. Wish you well. Don't give up.