Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success!

Rate this topic

Lady Sailor

This is Great news and we need to hear these Success stories.

Thanks or coming on board and telling us this Lady Sailor!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If you did not get P&T you can appeal and ask for it (Chapter 35). By the time they get around to looking at your appeal a year will have gone by and they can tell if you are stable and your condition is static. This is what I did. I did however, wait until I was out of work to really start tying to get 100%. As long as I could work I was OK with just 30% (what a dummy).

Congratualtions.....AWESOME.......it is these success stories that help all of us to be able to keep our chins up and to NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

Thank you very much everyone. My DAV rep told me the big mistake I made that many of the other older vets make too is not going after the increase sooner because so many of us waited until we really needed the assistance and that makes it harder. I have 10% for hearing, 10% for tinnitus and 100% for thyroid. Finally this week, was approved for dependent pay too and that took a few days short of a year. You have to just keep after them and be persistent. Reading many of the posts here helped to keep me motivated.

Lady Sailor,

Just an FYI, being granted 100 % SC now, provides you with dental care

and some more additional benefits.

The next thing to ask your rep ASAP is - did you also get P&T status

in the decision.

This is very important as it opens eligibility for more benefits.

Chapter 35, waiver of SGLI insurance premiums, possibly no or less

property taxes etc . . .

Check with your state benefits for veterans and disabled veterans.

http://www.veteranprograms.com/id136.html

If you did not get P&T you can appeal and ask for it (Chapter 35). By the time they get around to looking at your appeal a year will have gone by and they can tell if you are stable and your condition is static. This is what I did. I did however, wait until I was out of work to really start tying to get 100%. As long as I could work I was OK with just 30% (what a dummy).

A couple times I had put in for an increase, was shot down and just didn't pursue it. I received severance pay back in 92 after more than 15 years in the navy. I finally started receiving my 20% then 30% a few months later after over 19 years. Had to pay back the amount of severance pay including the taxes I had to pay--OUCH! Finally, a great social worker/therapist at the VA, a caring DAV rep and another disabled vet gave me the incentive and support to see this through. I always had thought that I'd do without (like you) until I couldn't any longer. If I had to do it over, I'd aggressively work on my claims from the beginning. Did not get P &T. I have severe hypothyroidism and I don't see it getting any better so I don't understand this.

Edited by Lady Sailor

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use