Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going To Sleep Lab

Rate this question

#1Cavtrooper

Question

On December 18, 2012 I took a device home from my local outpatient clinic. This device is the Va's "home sleep study." Well today I find out that I have severe sleep apnea. I was told that I had "22 episodes" in the 320 minutes of study. I am told that I had shallow breathing 75 times and that I quit breathing 53 times...... Whew.. no wonder I am tired all the time. I was scheduled for the sleep lab in Houston for June 12, 2013 (that was the soonest appt they could get me). So I call the sleep lab and ask her to call me when they have an opening. Alas! Fifteen minutes later she calls back to see if I could be there tomorrow night (1/26/2013). They tell me that only approximately 1 out of every 200 people will be scheduled for Houston after the outpatient home study (only the ones that are severe) for they have the apap machines in Lufkin. I am told that they will calibrate the machine there and I will leave with it. Is there any straightforward advice that I need to know and what to expect. Thanks.... Too many posts on the subject to sort through.....

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Use the machine, properly maintained and adjusted it can change you life (for the better)!

If you have a high pressure rating when they are trying masks ect. you might consider the full face. I had to switch to one because my mouth would pop open and I would wake up with the worst cotton mouth!!! Destroyed a couple of teeth before I switched also, full face mask backed off the TMJ problems I picked up.

Best regards,

I concur 71M. I did the VA home study last october. They issued me a clap without going in to a overnite slumber party. I went to a private Dr. and had a "real" sleep study done. had to go two different nites. They issued me another cpap machine with the correct pressures. The Tech could not believe the VA issued me a cpap with such wide range of pressures. I started with the VA full face mask, but after I got the real study done, i found that the nose pillow mask was good, except if you happen to open your mouth if feels like a hurricane blowing out your mouth. It wakes me up sometimes.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just had a tech from the cpap and mask provider tell me that none of their masks work for me. Between the Sleep doctor MD, the sleep lab I use, and the provider I am getting nowhere. I have a private doctor. Would the VA be any better? I get contradictory advice from the sleep lab, the doctor and my provider.

John999,

The only difference is the costs. The VA will provide the machine and it's equipment in its entirity for a no cost to you. Service connected or not.

Many insurances will pay only a partial amount, which means the remainder comes out of your pocket

I had a sleep study back in November.

Found out that I have 28 "incidents" per hour.

Going back next month to be fitting for the machine.

Difference is I don't have obstructive SA I've got central SA.

Thank you Guys and Gals for the replies. Well, I went to the Sleep Study on Saturday night at 9:00 pm and was released at 5:00 am on Sunday morning. I had a total of 27 wires hooked up to me, and "Carlie you're right about the difficulty of getting the pasty glue out of my hair, especially with long hair. The technician started the air setting at 4 and then increased it to 11 during the REM stage. I agree with the other guy about it being like a hurricane blowing out of your mouth. She put the nose mask on me and it left some tender red marks. Other than that and the camera pointed at me everything went o.k. Now I am to wait on the Doctor to read the results and then they will order me a cpap machine. On the paperwork I was given it states a "contract" company will come to my house to help me get it set up. I will say that I felt a lot more rested and refreshed than I had in a very long time. I am anxious to get this cpap machine.