Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going To Sleep Lab

Rate this question

#1Cavtrooper

Question

On December 18, 2012 I took a device home from my local outpatient clinic. This device is the Va's "home sleep study." Well today I find out that I have severe sleep apnea. I was told that I had "22 episodes" in the 320 minutes of study. I am told that I had shallow breathing 75 times and that I quit breathing 53 times...... Whew.. no wonder I am tired all the time. I was scheduled for the sleep lab in Houston for June 12, 2013 (that was the soonest appt they could get me). So I call the sleep lab and ask her to call me when they have an opening. Alas! Fifteen minutes later she calls back to see if I could be there tomorrow night (1/26/2013). They tell me that only approximately 1 out of every 200 people will be scheduled for Houston after the outpatient home study (only the ones that are severe) for they have the apap machines in Lufkin. I am told that they will calibrate the machine there and I will leave with it. Is there any straightforward advice that I need to know and what to expect. Thanks.... Too many posts on the subject to sort through.....

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey #1cavtrooper First sorry to hear of your new condition. I have been DX with sever apnea in 1992 and told most likely had since late 70's I have complex about 3% obstructive (meaning like nose opening too small or throat closes due to weak mussel or like me tongue too large),. And 97% centeral (meaning the brain's instructions don't get to the lungs to tell them to fuction). Anyway obstructive can most times be corrected by surgery, however centeral no such luck. It took me about a year to get use to the nose pillow or mask, they also have a full mask and nostral plugs either of the last two I never tried. You can get use to whatever you put your mind to, just give it time you now have a different life to get use to however the folks here will help you through it.

Best wishes and prayers! Rich!!biggrin.png

#1Cavtrooper,

I can only tell you what I went through on my exam. I wouldn't think that the procedure would be much of a difference, only the results, of course.

I went to the room where the lab tec prepared me for this study. She placed leads on my head, chest and legs. I then took my pills and layed in bed and went to sleep. This was around 2100hrs. I did not fall into a deep of enough sleep to be evaluated, so she made me another appointment to return. A couple weeks later, I was back and again went through the sleep study with a different set up than I did previously. Again, I went to sleep at 2100hrs and was awoke at 0500. Between that time, I stopped sleeping for 15-20 seconds every 12 minutes. I took the cpap machine home with me which was the air pressure was set at 17. That was back in 2003. Two years ago, I went through another study because I felt that I was getting no sleep even with the machine. The end result was that she reset the air pressure at 23. Since that time I have been doing pretty good. The pulmonary tech that watched over the test told me that the settings only go to 25. If my level reaches that high then they will look at other non-evasive steps before surgery.

Good luck on your testing, don't sweat it.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you need sleeping meds take them with you. I have a hard time sleeping in a lab and did not sleep at all last time I had a test. I have had poor result with the machine and mask. I know that compliance with cpap's and bpaps is pretty poor long term so says my psychologist. I can see why. I have yet to find a mask that works for me with my setting.

Hello All,,,,,,this is kinda bothering me because of the problems each of you are describing. I take sleep meds because of the pain in the neuropathy ,,,,but I know that my COPD and Restricted Lung disease,,,,,Service Connected....and Pulmonary Hypertension are causing me more problems with lack of quality sleep. Put the IHD and Heart attack and I see sleep studies coming and can't do it right now because I am still trying to work some but know that this would shut me down.

Yes ,,,, I know it would be service connected ,,,but that would take another 3-5 years to get it awarded and I cannot file any new claims until the decisions on what VA wants to do ,,,,are put to bed ......no pun intended....I think....

Anyway . Just be patient 1st Calv and try and get it settled....knowing that dealing with Houston is really not in your favor as you are finding out. I also believe that if you are service connected for PTSD , Neuropathy and severe pain issues,,,,, or Lung diseases/Heart diseases then Sleep apnea will and can be Service Connected. The BVA and Regional Office awards can give you some positive thoughts on the awards for it as you can research that here or at their site. Above all NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless....C.C.

The sleep lab can be a tough place to slumber - hospital settings with wires, cams etc, but try to be relaxed and not fight it.

CPAP has been miracle device for me, although not as effective since I gained weight.

John- I hope you'll keep at em til they find a setting that works for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

My advice is to take the meds that you normally take before the study. I have had 4 of them 2 at VA and 2 at private Doc. I had to go back to VA a second time cause I did not take meds and never went to sleep.