Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nurse Practioner Are Seeing Patients Instead Of Doctors

Rate this question

tmoe

Question

The previous post was closed.was told to start over,anyway I ask the question about NP as being my primary doctor. Is this going on at all

VA medical center or just in Augusta Ga.Carlie says its been going on but in my seven years as seeing VA doctors this is my first with a

NP.She is doing good so far even givin some pain meds. I think it maybe a good ideal stay on her good side,because they are the one

that does C&P exams mostly. I guess you see the doctor when dying only.I know a lot of MH doctors quit at Charlie-Norwood but looks

like regular doctor also

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

VA care can be good or bad. It depends on the examiner. Forest Gump. (Tom Hanks) Great Actor by the way, said "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

We can get excited about being taken care of but it reminds me also of the old dating game in the 70's.

You can win your very own super exciting hand mixer.

Oh Well. I guess it is like any other gamble we take,

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Teac,

You are quite right you can refuse to be treated by a NP or PA. However, I am not entirely sure that you can specify to the VA whom your doctor is going to be or where you will receive services. When it comes to down to it, I believe they can say this is who is treating you take it or leave it. Private insurance is another matter entirely, since you are essentially selecting your service provider, you make the decisions.

You have the right to request to see another doctor or provider regardless where you receive treatment.. I have done it a number of times.

I personally believe properly implemented an NP or PA is a competant and usefull provider for services. Where the problem comes in is misuse of them or when the worst NP/PA's are supervised or coordinated by doctors of questionable medical skill and even worse management skills (does anyone doubt they exist?).

I don't see any difference in them they are not doctors and should not be prescribing treatment.. If they were as good as a doctor they would have the title doctor....

But when talking doctors and competancy I find this little tidbit interesting. DOT has strict rules on how many hours and miles a driver can log in a single day and mandatory documented rest breaks. This is all done in the name of safety. The thought being a tired driver will make mistakes. Doctors on the other hand have no hourly restrictions and medical residents are exposed to 24 -16 hour shifts and often log 80 hour work weeks.

Even though it is what it is VA can do better than this.If they quit telling the doctors to lie for them and report what it is and not what

VA whats they would keep good doctors. I'M with Teac on this if I go to a private doctor I want to see a doctor not a NP same with VA.

My problems a NP can only (google) up your symptoms which doctors are doing the same. As long as we let this happen it will be that.

I complain but was told to give it a chance. NP or MEDIC pretty much alike. Me being a medic would my opion count?? Don't think so.

I will complain ut it could be to the new disaility claims. I know there are some worst than me that may need the doctor care than so be.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got a horrible staff infection from a private podiatrist's handiwork. I attempted to sue the bastard doctor, but here in Florida these "doctors" are almost bullet proof unless they cut off the wrong leg or kill someone while removing a ingrown toenail. Since I have an option I don't let the VA operate on me.

I did have a private orthopedist look at MRI of my neck and say surgery was my only hope. I got a second opinion from a neurosurgeon and he was astonished at what the orthopod was going to do. Doctor's are not Gods or even saints. They are businessmen who we hope are better than the mechanic that fixes our cars. I always get second opinions these days. I have had at least three surgeries that failed under workers compensation while I was trying to cling to my postal job. I trust none of these guys.

You have the right to request to see another doctor or provider regardless where you receive treatment.. I have done it a number of times.

I don't see any difference in them they are not doctors and should not be prescribing treatment.. If they were as good as a doctor they would have the title doctor....

Do you have a right, or have you been allowed to? So do your physicians take all your vitals, run your lab tests, nuclear imaging, ultrasound.....the care you receive will only be as good as those medical support positions. As for perscribing treatment, their legal right to practice, is governed by the same institutions that grant an MD or DO the right to practice medicine. The diploma does not confer a license.

I know a great number of people with the title Dr. That i would not let even let wipe my ...... Nose!

• In Memoriam

The problem is time. There are not enough doctors to treat Veterans, so the system goes to a doctor sub-culture. It seems it is like a pyramid system. The more the VA is cuts back on actual Veterans Care the lower down the pyramid the Vets go.

I do think that NP's are used for C&P exams so that the Veteran can overcome the C&P with an IMO and also used to accomodate the legal system and time involved with the system. If you look at your C&P statements in your SOC and SSOC you would think that these people are just janitors or maybe community service workers sent by the courts to the VA.

If the NP's for SOC and SSOC's, are the same quality as those used in the VAMC's, we are in real trouble. On one of my SSOC's the NP said I have an incurable disease. The NP said that I had a truck stuck in my nose. There is no way I can treat or contest a truck stuck in my nose. Maybe some 30 weight up the nose, hehe.

I did win this SC claim with an IMO-IME. I am sure there are some good NP's, but when it comes to a claim I haven't found one yet. Forgot to mention that the NPSW (Social Workers) for MH seem pretty good and honest. This is only my experience.

Edited by Stretch

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity