• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Surprise 70% Ptsd Rating; Now What Can I Do.............?!

Question

I hope you can help me; not sure what I should do.
I was rated Service Connected Disable for PTSD on August 21, 2012 @ 70%. I didn't expect this at all. If anything, I thought I would get a low rating for my physical aliments............(neck, back head shoulder).
When I applied in 11/2011, I had been out of work for 3 yrs and was totally distraught,confused and disoriented. Needless to say, I finally got a job in 02/12 and it is no where near what I use to do or the money I use to make.
I'd like to know what your advice would be for this:
I see where I do have serious social and economic problems and believe I am totally diasable & want to ask for 100% PTSD, Permanent and Total. I'm still on this job that wrecks my nerves, can't stop the obsessive thoughts and wants to hurt people because I don't work well with people at all. I took this week off because I couldn't pull up the gumption to go back in there after the week, mentally.
What should I do; appeal my rating 1st and then apply for TDIU while working or do I go ahead and let the job go in order to apply for TDUI and then appeal the VA's decision?
Thanks in advance.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I disagree with the VSO. If you dispute the rating%, then file a NOD. Simply asking for an increase without a NOD, could result in an increase, but at a later effective date. Whenever you can, pres

• Admin

You can search for more questions about PTSD Ratings Here such as

PTSD rating question - VA Claims

community.hadit.com/topic/66344-ptsd-rating-question/
Apr 19, 2016 - Hello All I have a question, please excuse my ignorance as I am not fully versed on the 100% rating for PTSD. I understand what P&T and TDIU ...

Can I Get P&t For 70% Ptsd Rating - VA Disability Claims Discussion ...

community.hadit.com/topic/59826-can-i-get-pt-for-70-ptsd-rating/
Dec 6, 2014 - I'm rated at 70% but paid 100% TDIU for PTSD. How do I go about getting the P&T status. I submitted a private medical opinion that I'm ...

Ptsd Rating Appeal - VA Disability Claims Discussion Forum

community.hadit.com/topic/6434-ptsd-rating-appeal/
Ptsd Rating Appeal. Started by .... Home · General VA Claims Questions & Information · VA Disability Claims and Benefits Research; Ptsd Rating

Why am I seeing different ratings for PTSD here?

My total rating, including Tinitus (thanks to multiple explosions) and shrapnel wound, AND PTSD is 60%.  Yet, if I'm reading this correctly, there are some here who have been granted 70% for PTSD alone.

I don't get it.

Employment was mentioned in a few posts, but considering I haven't been significantly employed, or under-employed for a number of years, I would think that might weigh in my favor.

• HadIt.com Elder

And some are here  who got 100% SC P & T for PTSD (my dead husband- 3 years after his death). It might be best to start a new thread here...this one is old.

The PTSD ratings are explained in the VA Schedule of Ratings, linked below the main forums.

"Employment was mentioned in a few posts, but considering I haven't been significantly employed, or under-employed for a number of years, I would think that might weigh in my favor."

Employability is a key factor to all ratings.

Did you NOD the 60%? If not you can re-open the claim with New and Material evidence.

Do you get SSDI solely for the SC conditions?

Did VA Voc Rehab ever turn you down stating your SCs make Voc Rehab unfeasible?

"considering I haven't been significantly employed, or under-employed for a number of years, I would think that might weigh in my favor."

It certainly could but there are other factors, as within the VA SRD, and VA has to know if you are ,in fact unemployed and/or how your SCs have affected your ability to work....since their last rating...that is where the new and material evidence comes in, if you did not appeal the 60% in time.

Edited by Berta

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By GBArmy
      Good advise from Pacmanx1 and Buck52, as usual. Your profile says you are 100%. Is it P&T? If it isn't an other MH condition(s), Buck has an excellent point. If you are unlucky enough to have, or get later, additional disabilities that could be secondary to the new condition of PTSD, it may be beneficial for you. For example, if meds for PTSD cause you migraines that could be rated as 50%, you may qualify for additional SMC's. Meds cause IBS or stomach?GERD problems. IMHO, if you are 100% P&T, I would strongly consider it.
    • By MileHigh
      If I were to get a job where  I was considered a Virtual Employee(with a big company) and Worked from my home. Is that considered a "sheltered environment"? Meaning would I get in trouble for working from home and make more than the poverty threshold?

Thank you Scott 

• By XIbodybag
      Filed a supplemental claim 12 days ago.  Sent a current diagnosis from VHA of combat related PTSD (they diagnosed me with other stressor related disorder at 30%) and evidence of symptoms and interactions with police that should put me at 50 or 70% in like 50 pages of evidence via .  Called 1800 number today to check on status and they said that it had already been decided for 10/20/2020 (tomorrow???) and no new C&P was given.  Does this seem a bit fast to you?  Does that mean its unfavorable or have you seen favorable decisions made that quickly?  
    • By Hucast21
      Hello,
      I was denied for PTSD and migraines two years ago. I’ve been having sessions with a VA psychiatrist till now and found something interesting in my progress notes the other day.
      The VA psychiatrist wrote this: Veteran is a 40 yo male with bipolar disorder, unspecified anxiety, and PTSD from military experiences and MST.
      Does the statement above satisfy the Caluza elements?
      Thank you

• By blahsaysme2u
      OK guys. i have a lot of news to update you all on but i haven't gotten my letters yet so i am waiting on those before i post updates. but looking like i have won to very large claims in my favor that should push me over to 100% schedular. all of my claims are disabilities that obviously will never get better and will only degrade for the rest of my life(osa,tbi,tinnitus,back leg feet issues hearing loss,gerd) 
      so with all that being said i am looking into what my next steps are. i know i am going to be fighting some effective dates on some of my claims and that will be a seperate post. but i have searched far and wide and have found very little info on P&T as it pertains to veterans that are looking for just getting their disabilities identified as permanent but not necessarily total. i still work and want to continue to work as i enjoy my job, my employer is good to me and makes great allowances for my disabilities to allow me to continue to work,etc. i worry getting P&T will make me have to stop working like TDIU.
      so questions:
      is P&T like TDIU as respect to work? can you be rated permanent and not total? what process do i need to go through to get my claims rated permanent? i have some effective dates that are already "protected"(over the 10 year) but not as permanent (over 20) and some with newer effective dates. if i get permanent or if P&T is given together, will all my claims be protected together, or will each claim have to stand on its own as being permanent? reason i ask this question; i know that P&T is listed on benefits summary page on ebennies, so wondered if you cant have permanent without total and if once you get it its for all claims since its just a yes no question not for each disability.  can you not get the benefits of being 100% without being P&T? ie champ va etc?  
      again i tried to find answers to these questions and knew if anyone had the answers it was the guys here. 
      thanks for any help or any resources you can direct me to!
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines