Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Claim And Appeal Denied

Rate this question

mojo13

Question

I put a claim in for sleep apnea back on 3/15/2012 was denied on 7/10/2012, letter of disagreement was received by ro on 7/16/2012. Today my appeals was denied a/o 3/27/2013. I was sent va form 9 and a form called optional appeal hearing.

Here is my question, now that I have been denied my claim and appeal should i now continue to the BVA by returning these forms with my reason as to why I have live with this problem for many years. I remember my team always complaining about my snoring when I was over sea. I thought i just was a hevey snorer I never heard of sleep apnea till i was diagnous by the va with a sleep study. They say they have no record of me having sleep apnea in service, dear god I never new what sleep apnea was let along go to sick bay. For many years I live with it till i was diagnous with PTSD. Betwwen my snoring and nightmares and tossing turning all night my wife just could not take it any more, so for years I sleep in another room. My kid when they lived home would hear me though the walls. I feel I had sleep apnea even though I did not know it and was made worse by my PTSD. Should I send these forms in tell them my story and hope for the best.????? all over again but this time to the BVA.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

First off - man, your claim went quickly, especially for Florida.

Going to the BVA will not be so quick, probably 2-5 years.

How about posting the reasons and bases section from the decision.

Thanks

I put a claim in for sleep apnea back on 3/15/2012 was denied on 7/10/2012, letter of disagreement was received by ro on 7/16/2012. Today my appeals was denied a/o 3/27/2013. I was sent va form 9 and a form called optional appeal hearing.

Here is my question, now that I have been denied my claim and appeal should i now continue to the BVA by returning these forms with my reason as to why I have live with this problem for many years. I remember my team always complaining about my snoring when I was over sea. I thought i just was a hevey snorer I never heard of sleep apnea till i was diagnous by the va with a sleep study. They say they have no record of me having sleep apnea in service, dear god I never new what sleep apnea was let along go to sick bay. For many years I live with it till i was diagnous with PTSD. Betwwen my snoring and nightmares and tossing turning all night my wife just could not take it any more, so for years I sleep in another room. My kid when they lived home would hear me though the walls. I feel I had sleep apnea even though I did not know it and was made worse by my PTSD. Should I send these forms in tell them my story and hope for the best.????? all over again but this time to the BVA.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you ever have your nose broken in service or take a injury to the head? I had trouble sleeping for many years but no apnea DX since, like you, I did not even know what it was. Perhaps if you have complaints of sleep problems in very early VA records it might help. I am going to look at my VA hospitalization in 1972 and see if it mentions sleep problems.

For whom it concerns: There is an organization American Sleep Association that will make a dental device for you very cheaply. I am getting one made with no co-pay. They take most insurance and medicare.