Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Claim And Appeal Denied

Rate this question

mojo13

Question

I put a claim in for sleep apnea back on 3/15/2012 was denied on 7/10/2012, letter of disagreement was received by ro on 7/16/2012. Today my appeals was denied a/o 3/27/2013. I was sent va form 9 and a form called optional appeal hearing.

Here is my question, now that I have been denied my claim and appeal should i now continue to the BVA by returning these forms with my reason as to why I have live with this problem for many years. I remember my team always complaining about my snoring when I was over sea. I thought i just was a hevey snorer I never heard of sleep apnea till i was diagnous by the va with a sleep study. They say they have no record of me having sleep apnea in service, dear god I never new what sleep apnea was let along go to sick bay. For many years I live with it till i was diagnous with PTSD. Betwwen my snoring and nightmares and tossing turning all night my wife just could not take it any more, so for years I sleep in another room. My kid when they lived home would hear me though the walls. I feel I had sleep apnea even though I did not know it and was made worse by my PTSD. Should I send these forms in tell them my story and hope for the best.????? all over again but this time to the BVA.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

First off - man, your claim went quickly, especially for Florida.

Going to the BVA will not be so quick, probably 2-5 years.

How about posting the reasons and bases section from the decision.

Thanks

I put a claim in for sleep apnea back on 3/15/2012 was denied on 7/10/2012, letter of disagreement was received by ro on 7/16/2012. Today my appeals was denied a/o 3/27/2013. I was sent va form 9 and a form called optional appeal hearing.

Here is my question, now that I have been denied my claim and appeal should i now continue to the BVA by returning these forms with my reason as to why I have live with this problem for many years. I remember my team always complaining about my snoring when I was over sea. I thought i just was a hevey snorer I never heard of sleep apnea till i was diagnous by the va with a sleep study. They say they have no record of me having sleep apnea in service, dear god I never new what sleep apnea was let along go to sick bay. For many years I live with it till i was diagnous with PTSD. Betwwen my snoring and nightmares and tossing turning all night my wife just could not take it any more, so for years I sleep in another room. My kid when they lived home would hear me though the walls. I feel I had sleep apnea even though I did not know it and was made worse by my PTSD. Should I send these forms in tell them my story and hope for the best.????? all over again but this time to the BVA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you ever have your nose broken in service or take a injury to the head? I had trouble sleeping for many years but no apnea DX since, like you, I did not even know what it was. Perhaps if you have complaints of sleep problems in very early VA records it might help. I am going to look at my VA hospitalization in 1972 and see if it mentions sleep problems.

For whom it concerns: There is an organization American Sleep Association that will make a dental device for you very cheaply. I am getting one made with no co-pay. They take most insurance and medicare.