Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Historical Rates Of Va Compensation

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

In 1974 a single vet with 100% SC received $584 a month. A vet with 10% got 32 bucks a month and one with 90% got $325 a month. All the increases since then and before then are due to the COLA. When people who are uniformed start saying a new Chained CPI won't hurt us vets they are crazy.

The current COLA underestimates the true cost of living. I got 10% in 1971 and it was $28 bucks a month. My father got 10% in 1946 and it was $8 a month I think. We really need a raise to the basic rate and a better COLA. I am able to get by pretty well because I get a decent amount of SSD and TDIU+HB. A 22 year old soldier who has only worked for a few years will just get the little SSD and his 100% if he is totally disabled.

John

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Watch the politics except when they directly affect VA. I am against the chained VA calculations as mentioned once your are disabled we have a decent income but no chance to accumulate anything for our families. I also believe that VA relies on what fit 1940's and we were promised that our compensation would be reviewed and adjusted up to 25% but they never did it.

We are not Democrats or Republicans on Hadit.

John you are correct about the PFC now vs 1st. LT. back in the day! When the big pay raise happened in 71/72 my rank, years of service, and time in grade put me in the position of not getting a raise. Everyone else was jumping around all happy with their new wealth, but my pay stayed the same. I also got home from VN with a sea bag full of $ and in only 6 days back in the world I bought a bright red 1969 Mustang Mach I 428 Cobra Jet. If you stomped on it, you would smoke the rear tires. It got around 8-10 mpg but gasoline was about 30 cents a gallon. One of its twins was auctioned off in Phoenix for more than a million dollars. I wish I could say it was mine but it wasn't. I traded it in less than a year later for an XK-E and began feeding my obsession with Jaguars.

Pete53, you are also correct. The blame for the dysfunctional VA system is shared by both major parties. Each party has had numerous opportunities to fix the VA system, but neither has even tried.

Carlie, I remember very little from my college econ classes, but the one example I do remember is that if the price of beef skyrockets people will buy more chicken; this new demand will raise its price for chicken; switch to pork same thing happens, then turkey and ah yes it happens again. Historically prices go down much slower than they rise. Using the Chained CPI for COLA will just escalate the problem even further. This circle goes round and round and round. Commodity traders know this and depend on it happening. Our politicians know about it also; but hope that we are to stupid to figure it out. They may be right. Look who we keep electing around the nation.

been a huge difference in pay over the years. My son who is an E-4 and all the entitlements he is authorized is making more that I did as an E-8, 1SG, with 20 years. That's crazy.....