VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Va Pain Medication Policy

Rate this topic

I had my VA doctor ask for my private docs records on pain management. Typically he will mirror my medications that the private sector prescribes, except the one that is a killer on the price is the Butrans 15mg patch. it was $345 for that an the Lorzone. Crazy high and will be out of my reach here soon since retiring OPM. Could be worse eh. Trying to figure alternate methods if becomes an issue. The urinalysis is a pain but I am willing, just don't like all crowds of people at the VAMC. I'm taking Oxycodone, but is they're an alternate rx. oh and some of the psych meds help in tandem with pain meds but I seriously push this, make sure you preceding docs know exactly what your on to include OTC. It gets dangerous real fast.

• 3 weeks later...

The DEA strips veterans of their pain management *just* at a time when heroin is out there on the streets, cheaper than a big mac for some strange reason. I know of some veterans who have scabs all over their bodies from heroin abuse. They say they only started buying the stuff because the V.A. wouldn't help them, then they got caught in the web of this killer. They will die from their heroin abuse. Then the V.A. will not have the expense of their care any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

The VA PCP do not like writing prescriptions for pain meds. But once a Pain Management fills you a prescription of pain meds the VA PCP must refill them because you are now considered to be on the voluntary pain medication program. Yes each month the VA PCP must refill the meds and you must submit the VA Pain Tool Form to them, they do not have to see you each month, even with Private Pain Management MDs. The Private Pain Management MDs tell you that they must see you each month but this is a scam just to bill your insurance and medicare so they can get paid just to write you a prescription. I have a friend who's pain management doctor writes him SIX prescriptions and each month he has it filled. So whenever they tell you they have to see  you each month then they are scamming you to bilk your insurance for $$$$.

I only have to see my VA PCP ever 6 months and its usually only the pain medication Nurse I see and not even my VA PCP.

• 1 month later...

I have been taking oxycodone for the last 10 yrs 8 while still in service active duty to an injury I incurred while in service. Well I try to indure the pain as much as I can till it gets to where I can't and I take a 5mg percocet. Well the VA is now dicking with my scripts taking flexaril away which is one thing that does help me sleep a little longer than 2 hrs at time. My Percocet they keep going up and down on how many I get. Its supposed to be 90 I told them if it made them feel better instead of going 90 to 30, 30 to 60 etc split the baby and make it 75 so the days I need 3 I have them. Well now when it's time for my refill I have to do a tox screen and I mean every month I have to do one not once a yr but every month and I think it has to illegal some how. I do not abuse my medicen and I def do not sale it and I shouldn't have to make a special trip every month to the VA For a tox screen. Also they are trying to take me off of it and they are adding a ridiculous amount of other meds on top of it. They have have me my flexaril back and I have always took mobic but now they have added gabaentin, lyrica, trazodone, celexa. Mind you I'm not depressed in anywAy but taking these new meds have made me where I'm not functioning very well and I'm sure I have missed a few sscripts that they have me on. Also these drugs they it me on have put me on edge, my anxiety has went way up, I'm horribly irratable and almost all days I'm nauseous. I am just there little guinee pig they are trying to take me off a med that helps and does not meds with my head to put me on 7 new meds. The 3 I was on worked fine to ease up the pain. Oh and also I want to get a job in the private sector and just how many apointments they have me going to dismantles that possibility. This week I have had 2 appointments each day next week3 days of the week following week 2 and so on hf and throw in my mandatory tox test so I can refill the one thing that helps. Someone please tell me if it they are allowed to make me take a tox screen every month so I can refill my script. Also just help in general. I don't want them to keep pprescribing meds for depression that it is supposed to numb you to the world only cause they don't want you taking an opiate. Oh I'm not even starting on my claim issues will just say I haven't had a job for 2 yrs and they will not give me my disability I have not collected any form of gov money such as food stamps,  welfare etc. I had enough money saved up that I have been alright but it's is after 2 yrs is getting pretty loIow

• HadIt.com Elder

The problem is two fold. A change in the class of narcotic containing drugs, and the VA's response to the change.

Then, you get into the scheduling issue. The VA likes to do things at it's convenience, not the veterans.

I'm afraid that you will have to talk with the VA providers, and if they cannot provide relief, change to some level of outside care.

With the government it's often our way, or nothing. Of more concern is that you stated the reasons you have to take the drugs originated in service, and yet are not service connected.  This is something that really need to be addressed.  It might be possible to say that the VA's treatment is aggravating the condition, and that makes it impossible to work.

Edited by Chuck75

I kind of gotten in the same boat. The VA doc wouldn't concede or try to cover my meds.  Even with the Butrans and Percocet, he stated I either stick with the VA and change to Tramadol and let them manage my pain or stick with my private insurance.  Hmm guess I'll stick with my private insurance even if I have to pay a lot more.  I was on Tramadol several years ago and it did not do crap for me.

I thought I was the paranoid one here all this time.  Geesh