VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Va Pain Medication Policy

Rate this topic

Called in for my pain medication and got the runaround. I told the nurse that I was aware of the pressure by the DEA and she did not deny it. She stated that the Dr. could not refill the med because I had not seen him in the last 3 months. I advised her that it had been about one (1) month since my last appointment. They made an appointment for me and the meds arrived in two days. The Dr. himself has stated that he believes that I am not addicted because a 30 day supply lasts up to 75 days many times as the pain is not always constant. Will find out what is going on next month at the appointment.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

3 months? A couple of years ago they just required me to make annual visits. After the pain med contract, they told me six months or else. Before we know it, they will have us in there every day...

• 2 months later...

I just wished they would have explained it to us better on their policy. I submitted my refill request two weeks ago and no one ever returned with a call or even a secure message in myhealthevet to say to me that I needed to see the doc before I get my meds. Now I had to do blood work and a drug test today and the doctor won't see me until the 14th. That leaves me with 10 days all together off of my pain meds and withdrawing. Does anyone have any home remedied to help with withdraw from hydrocodone. If it gets any worse I will be heading to the liquor store.

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line nothing is going to be done in the VA to get pain meds back like they use to be. I have been on Methadone and Hydrocodone for break through pain for the past 12 plus years now and I have been weaned down from Methadone and now Hydrocodone. I am 100% disabled from a serious back injury in a Helicopter crash in Vietnam and it is getting worse as time goes by. I cannot walk or stand, I am diabetic with a serious case of neuropathy, the pins and needles kill me, I need someone to help in the bathroom, fix my food, bathe me anything and everything. Now my PCP wants me to go 150 for treatment. I tell them I cannot drive (he knows this) I cannot travel unless I have help and I don't have help. They said I could go to Florida for an in-patient 21 day program, they know I cannot travel, who would take care of me there, no one is going to wipe my behind for me or feed me daily. I just cannot function like everyone else, so what is a Veteran to do. No help at the VA, I don't have medicare yet but will next year, still can't get to the Doctor's office. They have bought me two electric wheelchairs and I need wood flooring to use those in the house so I can't use them. Tried getting a HISA grant but I need 3 different contractors to submit these forms that are nothing but confusing as hell and just a roadblock. I even talked to the Hospital Medical Director at Fayetteville, Arkansas who tells me Methadone is not meant as a pain medication...I almost croaked, where does he think Methadone came from...remember WWII and the Germans and no morphine, they are the ones who came up with this drug and it works, for me anyway. I don't get high on this medication it just stops some of the pain to a level I can live with. Some Vet is going to get sick of this and do a Postal on his Doctor, when that happens maybe something will change, Like metal detectors and bullet proof glass where you see your doctor on your computer. My brother took me to see my doctor about 2 weeks ago and he was in the room with me, first time every my doctor kept asking me if I wanted this or that and I kept telling him no then he would defer to my brother and ask him, "did you hear me ask him if he wanted it and he said no"..kept covering his butt like I was setting him up. Talk about paranoid, obviously he feels guilty about taking me off my pain meds. No the VA will not change the way they have begun doing business, there is just not enough cohesion among Veterans as a group to thwart this effort. But, good luck to everyone I hope

you get what you need. Me, I am going to a methadone clinic and tell them I have a dependency on narcotics and I need methadone, don't tell them it is for pain b/c they don't treat pain at a methadone clinic and you can go as high as you need to go to relieve the pain and you can actually get a 28 day take home after you have been going for a while and no positive urine for anything..and they will not allow you to use any Diazepams, so that is out for a lot of people, me I don't take them, I know methadone and diazepam are a deadly combination.

What do you do when your own government (DEA) is the enemy?

You fight! Use their tactics against them and give them enough to hand themselves. It's pain but you could try the fee based option. JMHO

Personally I am in constant pain because of my back injury. At times it is too much to bare. I think a combination of treatments at once is the best option. Heat, Ice, stretches, physical therapy,TENS unit, cognitive behavior conditioning, lidocane, OTC, pain patches, and a whole lot of mind over matter. Nothing is a complete fix, however, it makes it bareable. Im still trying to get the VA to pay for chiroprator services,accupunture, steroid shots and rhizotomies at different levels. These things help and can help you make it through.