VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Va Pain Medication Policy

Rate this topic

All I was taking is Lortab, which only has 5mg of hydrocodone in it, and they cut me off with no explanation. It didn't help much, but it was better than nothing. The VA facility I go to had a highly publicized overdose that killed a man, and now every pain suffering vet is paying the price. I had taken the hydrocodone for about 4-5 years and never became addicted. I don't know what I'm going to do now, and I don't like my options much. Unfortunately, what they are going to do is make criminals out of a bunch of disabled veterans. Anybody that suffers from chronic pain knows that it literally sucks the life right out of you. I think the only way this is going to be fixed is if enough vets get together and file a class action lawsuit against both the DEA and Department of Veterans Affairs. I'm no attorney, but their current practices would seem to me to violate the Americans With Disability Act. I don't know. I would be a complainant in such a lawsuit, and I would contribute financially as well. If we don't fight for each other, no one else is going to do it. I have fought for years with VA doctors over pain management, and I for one have had enough.

I have been taking 7.5mg/500mg and then they changed them to 7.5mg/325mg at 4 a day for 4 years and then last month they they reduced me to 4 a week. I was in pain and threatened to kill the doctors responsible. They are reviewing me to possibly red flag me and make me check in with police at VA and not let me go to any community VA clinics because they dont have police staffed there. BTW, they have put me back on the pain meds at 4 a day. I know I over reacted but pain can drive you to say things you really dont intend to do. I have been taking alot of Tylenol, ibuprofen, and muscle relaxers. Gabapentin caused me to go into a rage and destroy a computer and tv. I snapped and dont really remember. I dont mean that the meds are solely to blame. I havent snapped like that since 2008. My psych Dr. is supporting me as well as my counselor. Just be careful what you say. I dont think I will get a red flag unless I do something else. Pain and feeling hopeless or helpless suck!!

• 1 month later...

The best thing to do is voice your concern with the VHA Office of the Medical Inspector.

Contact information is available at:

http://www.va.gov/health/medicalinspector/

It probably will do little good but if they receive enough complaints then who knows?

Someone will contact you within 48 hours.

Be calm, be adamant, be intelligent.

We need as many people as possible to call and complain.

I would call and talk to a real person.

• 1 month later...

Two things I would do in this case. First make an appointment with your PC or PM doctor and tell them no medication changes UNTIL you physically meet with your them.

Once you meet with your PC or PM doctor, if they say they don't like prescribing meds like this, ask them if they are "providing the standard of medical care".

Regardless of what the VA's policies are, the "standard of medical care" is decided by medical boards and physicians, not in the VA. If they fail to provide the standard of medical care, they are open to a malpractice suit. And contrary to what some will try to tell you, yes you can sue a VA doctor for malpractice, and they can have their license to practice revoked by the local medical board.

Two things I would do in this case. First make an appointment with your PC or PM doctor and tell them no medication changes UNTIL you physically meet with your them.

Once you meet with your PC or PM doctor, if they say they don't like prescribing meds like this, ask them if they are "providing the standard of medical care".

Regardless of what the VA's policies are, the "standard of medical care" is decided by medical boards and physicians, not in the VA. If they fail to provide the standard of medical care, they are open to a malpractice suit. And contrary to what some will try to tell you, yes you can sue a VA doctor for malpractice, and they can have their license to practice revoked by the local medical board.

Sure you can sue the VA and VAMC doctors, FTC, file within 2 years of knowledge of

additional disability, in Federal Court - and you can also do a VBA 1151 claim.

Here is the thing I have taken Hydrocone in the past for shingles. I know what it does to you but I also know it does help. Since I know what this drug does to me I can utilize it on days that are really bad when the other drugs are not helping. People with Osteoarthritis/DDD of the spine know what I am talking about, the days when there is weather changes or low pressures. Those are the killer days and puts you in bed. It took me 2 hours to get out of bed this morning because of it. Wish I had the Hydrocone last night so I wouldn't have waken up like this.

IT SUCKS and I guess my only solution is to see my Private Doctor to see if he will fill me a month supply. Anybody know how much Hydrocone cost without insurance?

you said it man, ive been miserable for the last couple weeks because of the low pressure and rainy overcast weather, just painful.