VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Va Pain Medication Policy

Rate this topic

I was one a pain contract taking Methadone for over 12 years and I didn't have any side effects from the medication. Last August My Primary Doctor Retired and they replaced him with a Nurse Practioner. She was unable to Write the Perscription for Narcotics, and the Doctor that was underwriting for her refused to refill my medication. She didn't even bother letting me know, I found out when My Medication didn't come in the mail.. When I called the Doctor told me I wasn't in pain and suggested I buy some Motrin. It's been about 8 Months and I'm still suffering. The New Doctor I was finally assigned sent me to the Pain clinic where they refuse to even consider medications. They want me to take Steroid Injections , which never worked in the past, so I'm at a loss as to what I can do to get back on the medication that worked for 12 years.

• 3 months later...

IMMA BE QUICK PLAIN N SIMPLE MY PRIMARY CARE TOOK MY MEDS THAT GAVE ME A REASONABLE QUALITY OF LIFE THE LAST SIX YRS WITH NO PLAN OR OPTION TO REPLACE IT. HER PREMISE IS SOME REPORT THAT I COULD DROP DEAD NO WARNING JUST STOP BREATHING SO I GO HAVE A FULL HEART ARTERIES WORK UP THE CARDIOLOGIST SAY ALL IS NOT GOOD BUT EXCELLENT HEART OF A 35 YR OLD IM 60. I M SUFFERING WORST THAN EVER THIS VERY INSTANT I REMEMBER SIGNING MY PAIN MED CONTRACT BEING ADVISED OF ALL THE DANGERS AND DECIDING IF IT WOULD BRING ME RELIEF AND A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE LETS DO IT . I HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN BEFORE TAKING THE MEDS EVERY SINCE IM VERY ILL RIGHT NOW. WEN CHALLENGED TUESDAY ON WHAT IS SHE GONNA DO SHE BASICALLY SAID I GOTTA LUMP IT BECAUSE SHE WASN'T GIVING ME ANY MEDS SHE CALL A WOMAN FROM PAIN MANAGEMENT AND LIKE MOST OF US SHE WAS TALKING STARTING AT SQUARE ONE I TOLD HER MAM I BEEN THRU ALL THAT CRAP TIME AND AGAIN TO NO AVAIL AND WHAT WORKED YALL THO OUT THE WINDOW SHE PUT ME OUT HER OFFICE SAID SHE DID WANT TO TALK ABOUT MEDS I COULD LEAVE I LEAVE AND TWO PLAY COPS STANDING OUTSIDE SHIVERING HOPING I DON'T LOOSE IT ANY WORSE. GOOD LUCK ALL BUT MY CONGRESSMAN WILL HEAR OF MY CASE FOR WHAT GOOD IT WILL DO THX ALL. NORTH LITTLE ROCK VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

1151 Malpractice ????

Pain Medication via the VA is a major problem area at the moment.

They got called down because they were over medicating some veterans.

Naturally, "one size fits all" bureaucratic thinking resulted in problems for veterans that really need

pain medication. Then, there is a problem with withdrawal that many veterans also face. The VA

traditionally favored "cold turkey", even when it was not medically advisable. (Cheaper, don't you know!)

It's not quite all the VA's fault. The oxycontin debacle caused the government to put more stringent

rules and restrictions in place for all providers, VA or otherwise.

Yes, they still have to follow the standard of medical care and cutting someone off of painkillers without lowering their does or changing them IS malpractice AND violates standard of medical care. Remember, VA doctors or not, they still can be reported to the medical board and lose their license to practice, and face civil suits for malpractice. Some of them think they are immune to that, and have found out lately they are not. Do not hesitate to report them, to your local medical board for violating the standard of medical care, which is NOT withdraw.

Also, if you are totally disabled, you should also have Medicare, USE IT.

Well I Joined yout ranks today. Sent a secure message last week to pick up my pain meds on Friday. Friday comes and could not make it to the VA. I get there at 10 am today. No pain meds told to see the Doctor. Check in at the front desk. Two hours latter the nurse comes by. She is a nice older nurse been working for the VA a long time. I use the Salem VA very nice people there. I have in the past talked her out of transfering to the Hampton VA. She got me in to see the Doctor same bullshit. They were going to cut me off today. I explained that I have already been trun pain management and have taken ever drug test and the only drugs that show up are the ones the VA gives me. I stayed calm, The Doc asked me if I would go back to pain management again? I said sure. He gave me my meds. I seen friends go thru opiate withdrawal cold turkey { he tested postiive for pot} its not pretty.

• HadIt.com Elder

Screw the VA. I am using Medicare Pain Management that has no problem writing prescription for meds I have been taking for years and I get the meds on way back from Doc. It is so much easier and reliable than VA.