VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd & Disabled Parking Placard

Rate this question

avby3

Question

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

In Texas you can get DV plates if rated 60% or more. A blue placard to hang from your mirror has paperwork that VA needs to fill out.

In the midwest there are two types of disability placards. One is the license plate issued by the state that has a wheel chair on it. The other type goes on your mirror and is based on a doctor prescription.

Most places will accept either one to park in a handicapped spot. Some, however, are fussy and require one or the other. I can only suggest you check with your state motor vehicle department.

Even tho I have a state plate with a wheel chair, I specifically do not abuse this. Normally, I park in a regular spot and walk. No handicapped parking. I do this because I feel strongly these parking spaces should be reserved for those who truely need them. One because it is better for you to walk..walking is good exercise.

I read where you can lose like 5 pounds a year by simply parking in the furthest away spot instead of the closest. Makes sense to me.

I have seen examples of "non handicapped" people walking out of their car in a handicapped space, with a placard. In general the public frowns on this, and dont be suprised if someone reports you, and this could cause big problems. Dont risk it to save a few steps walk.

However, I sometimes have knee flare ups, where my knees are very painful and inflamed where it is difficult to walk. In those flareups I park in the handicapped and sometimes even ride the "scooters" that are in the store available for the handicapped. But...only when necessary.

Edited by broncovet

Try asking your state VARO for a letter that says you're permanently disabled. It doesn't have to say what the disability is. Most motor vehicle offices will accept the letter-no questions asked.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got handicap placard because of my foot pain (diabetic PN). My then employer wanted us to walk half a mile to our work place, so I got the card to hang off my rear view. I guess I would not get it for a mental condition unless I was on meds that make walking in the sun bad for me or something like that. There are so many older people who can barely walk and never enough handicap parking. There is not near enough handicap parking at my VA hospital.

John

Having PTSD does not qualify a person for a handicap parking space. These spaces should be for people that need them. If you are 100% for PTSD i would think you would want to avoid crowds and shop at night.

• HadIt.com Elder

most doctors will not sign off the paperwork for the placards on a mental condition, handicap parking is meant for physical handicaps, in south carolina you can get the license plate if you are 100 P&T the plates are good forever, the placards usually are only good for 3 or 7 years.

My ex wife's son used his grandparents car which has handicap plates and he used a HC spot with out them with him and the fine was a 1000.00 I doubt if he ever does that again