Ptsd & Disabled Parking Placard

Rate this question

avby3

Question

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have a mirror card and a handicap (wheelchair) license plate as well, both for my difficulty walking. I've greatly appreciated being able to park closer to help my feet last longer during trip to Physical Therapy or the clinic.

An unexpected benefit, though, has been being able to park close to the building and not having to walk far in the parking lot among the cars. This has been a big help for both my DH and I. (Both PTSD, me 70% with TDIU, he's 100% schedular).

Being out of the house at night is extremely stressful, especially for me, and we never go shopping after dark. Ever.

I would support the issuing of Handicap placards or plates to 100% PTSD vets. Just because there's no wheelchair or cane doesn't mean there isn't pain and difficulty making it from the car to the door. Luckily for me, I guess, I have the cane & sometimes a walker.

When I got my DV plates I could have gotten the DV plates with the wheelchair on it, but opted for just DV plates. While there I got the paperwork for the two blue placards and then took it to my PCP at my local outpatient clinic to fill out. Btw, this is in Texas.

Edited by #1Cavtrooper

• HadIt.com Elder

The state of Georgia's DV plates no longer carry a little blue handicapped sticker.

(The state stopped using the stickers)

A DV plate is free, and the HD plate is not.

On the other hand, the county tag offices that issue the plates claim that the DV plate

is equivalent to a HD plate, and no blue card or sticker is necessary. Another Georgia oddity is that the state laws concerning vehicle plates

call for a displayed plate to have a current sticker on it. But, the computerized system only generates one sticker with the correct information.

The county clerks issue two DV plates with a sticker on only one, and claim that both plates must be put on.

The state laws say that you can put anything (Other than something offensive or obscene) where the front plate would be, or nothing, and requires that the rear plate have the valid sticker.

????

Well here in Ga. I went to my tag office to get a BRONZE STAR tag(s). I was told they was not authorized. I had from a friend that they was. When I got home I wnt tpo the Georgia veterans benefit web page and saw it was. I call that office and the Veteran rep gave me the code and even sent me the link to print it off along with others. The next day I went back up to get my new tags, once again I told them I wanted 2 bronze star tags, again they said it was not authorized. I say yes it was and here is the proof. I showed them what I printed off they looked so surprise that I had that info before they did. I allow them to copy what I had. I was charged for the tags, but I later found that it is free for the first one and $25.00 manufacturing it and $25.00 tag fee. I have tried to print that part out but my dang printer went out. I will get that fixed and then reprint it and try to get my money back. So those who have questions on your state benefits, go to your state web page and look what is available to you and don't be afraid or a shame to ask for it. YOU EARNED IT, GET IT!

I use mine quite often around here (Northen VA) traffic is real bad here and parking is almost as bad. I have had mine for a few years and while I will use other spots that are close I will not park in the boonies! I have PTSD at 50% but I also have heart condition at 100% and PN pain. I would love to be able to walk some but I only do what I can do and don't push myself at all. Per my cardio docs advise.

Here in VA I have a disabled vet tag which is good for Hp parking, and my other car I have a hanging placard either one is good here.

I would question if a PTSD at 100% would get one. But I have seen a lot of folks around here that have them and get looks! Hell I get looks all the time but I have my card if anyone questions me, and if I feel like showing it!

Stillhere

Edited by stillhere