Rate this question

avby3

Question

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How about the handicapped bathroom stalls. Do we need a permit to use them or can anyone use them when not in use?? Just sayin'. . . And by the way, you can't be ticketed for parking in an HP space, if the space is on private property, such as a Walmart, Rite-Aid, the supermarket, etc..

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

Indiana disabled veterans who are issued plates, all receive the same plate with the wheelchair. I was not authorized my plates until I was rated for my LPN, and the AFO's. The mirror placard is badly abused in the Hoosier state. I often see (mostly healthy appearing women) putting the placard up in the mirror and jogging into the store. I am sure it is for a relative that is truely handicapped. I had a "friendly" disagreement with a Wal Mart manager one day when I ask why did Wal Mart put 4 pallets of top soil over the top of two handicapped spaces near lawn and garden. The manager turned red in the face, kept looking away, and later I saw a forklift moving the top soil. Just thought I would ask.

• In Memoriam

In Arkansas I have both plate and placard.

I have breathing, back problems, and PTSD/MDD. I went down to Little Rock Medical Center for and AAA stent. It was about 106 degrees out. The hospital is identical 5 sided. I lost my truck and wanderd around for about an hour thinking my truck was stolen. Then I realized that I was just disoriented and went to the VA police for help. The police wanderd around for about 45 minutes looking. They wanted me to sit in a wheel chair outside. I finally sat down looked at the map, after cooling down, and figured out where the truck was.

My VA doctor wrote up the placard. The hardest thing was getting the Plate. The Arkansas revenue office told me one thing at a time until I made many trips for it. I seldom go anywhere anyway so I rarely use them. In Arkansas you can still shop at night.

I would have never tried for this in California. I lived in CA for 55 years. Shame is that in CA., all of the handicaped slots are almost always empty.

You can try to get your doctor to write a placard for you if you have trouble getting to where you are going. It can't be just because you want it.

• Founder

I do not think PTSD would be a considered a medical reason for a placard. Unless your meds made you all wonky in which case I hope you aren't the one driving and if you aren't the one driving then they could let you off at the door.

Personally, for me I would not want to take that space from someone who is physically disabled, their life is hard enough. IMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

In Texas any 60% Veteran can get a DV Plate. I did not bother to get the plate when I first was elicible in 1993 cause you also had to display a blue hangar to park legally except at VA. A number of years ago when we jumped off into another war Texas made Veterans who are 100$ exempt from property taxes on their homestead and also changed laws that DV plate was acceptable to park in handicap.

I don't park in the ones that are set up do wheel chair disabled have enough room but now I use a walker and I need the room to wrangle. Also I don't park if there is a place close enough. Like some others I have my days. If my widw is with me I park in handicap cause she should have her own.

Another nice thing is I renewed my license sticker by mail for 6 bucks. I think in my county it would have been around 80 for regular and they are planning to double registration.soon. Supposed to get free toll road but I don't need it and cheap toll road won't implement it. In Texas the new way to make a toll road is to take a free road add a lane each way and make the whole thing a toll road.