Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Could Use Some Tips And Advice

Rate this question

LongTooth

Question

Hi,

I have recently started the claims process with the VA (I filed an informal claim on 04-Sept-2013

I see a private therapist and have a current diagnosis of PTSD, Bipolar II, poly substance abuse.

My therapist agrees with me that my disorders are SC

I've taken the initiative already to get copies of my DD214 as well as my private medical records. Currently I'm trying to track down my records from when I was placed on a 72 hr hold in a psych ward in 2000.

My prescribing Psychologist, who puts in time at the practice I go to, is also a VA doc.

I guess my question is this. If my therapist tells me that they have diagnosed me with the above disorders does that mean that my Psychologist (the VA doc) had to have signed off on the diagnosis and if so does this mean that I should have an easier time with the VA?

I'm also concerned that I may have to track down treatment records from the Army (I assume those would be in my DD214?) Where would I look for any SMR's that I may need? I also wonder if maybe I should try and track down any relevant records from my old Unit to show things such as an Article 15 and any evaluations done that would show the onset of my conditions.

Also if anybody could advise me of what else I should be doing at this early stage to present an effective claim please feel free to advise me.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Jason

I've gotten the letter I posted above telling me I'm good to go and now I appear to have stalled in the system. My attorney is going up next week to try and figure out what's going on"

You did VERY well in pursuing that discharge upgrade....and  as you said:

"The paragraph that gets me is the last one that talks about full grant of benefit sought on appeal. If one of the knowledgeable folk could chime in I'd be appreciative..."

That means ,to me, an award is coming....but where is it?

Unfortunately the VA is SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I am glad your attorney is looking into this . They might have enough to rate without a C & P exam but still that does not happen too often.

You said "  my claim was marked something like Rater Control, " a term I never heard before but that means ( I hope) that  they are rating or trying to rate the claim. I wish this was over for you.

It is difficult enough to turn bad paper into good paper and you did that! What a Victory!

This will all work out OK in time- I am sure- but Time is our enemy- so I hope maybe your lawyer can GTOOB.

(GTOOB -get thumbs out of butts)

Yeah I know it'll work out. My biggest fear is I'm going to walk into some quacks office after being on this claim over 4 years now and he/she's gonna do a hatchet job. It really kicks in my paranoia and I just want it to be over so I can try and move on.

win-or-die-va.thumb.jpg.b285920a6691a060672cbd38dd2c8e21.jpg

Hows about an update pardner....hear anything yet?

Edited by Inarticulate&Distorted

The ball inches ever closer to the goal line. 

Today I received a letter from the C&P office informing me that they must have an incorrect phone number for me because they've been trying to call. They'd like me to call them to setup an exam date. Progress is agonizingly slow but it is progress nonetheless. Stay tuned I'll have a date to post tomorrow.

And I have a C&P exam date set for Aug 6th.

I would like to thank everybody so far for the support and knowledge contributed to my case up to this point. Without the advice and links pointing to policy and law I would not effectively be able to keep my attorney on point. Thank you Hadit.

I just read your 1st 2013 post and this last page #18, if this is your (in 5 years) 1st MH/PTSD C & P Exam, I have to ask if you did a DIY Claims project or did you use a POA-VSO?

Something definitely is wrong here.  the last of your worries should be the "walking into a quacks office," for this C & P exam. Your VA Claims advice appears (to me), somewhat suspect.