Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Could Use Some Tips And Advice

Rate this question

LongTooth

Question

Hi,

I have recently started the claims process with the VA (I filed an informal claim on 04-Sept-2013

I see a private therapist and have a current diagnosis of PTSD, Bipolar II, poly substance abuse.

My therapist agrees with me that my disorders are SC

I've taken the initiative already to get copies of my DD214 as well as my private medical records. Currently I'm trying to track down my records from when I was placed on a 72 hr hold in a psych ward in 2000.

My prescribing Psychologist, who puts in time at the practice I go to, is also a VA doc.

I guess my question is this. If my therapist tells me that they have diagnosed me with the above disorders does that mean that my Psychologist (the VA doc) had to have signed off on the diagnosis and if so does this mean that I should have an easier time with the VA?

I'm also concerned that I may have to track down treatment records from the Army (I assume those would be in my DD214?) Where would I look for any SMR's that I may need? I also wonder if maybe I should try and track down any relevant records from my old Unit to show things such as an Article 15 and any evaluations done that would show the onset of my conditions.

Also if anybody could advise me of what else I should be doing at this early stage to present an effective claim please feel free to advise me.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Jason

I just recently went in to see my lung doc after a couple years. The sleep study was done in 2015. I didn't hear anything about it so I assumed everything was normal. Fast forward to last week and he's looking through my notes and says "Oh you where diagnosed with mild SA in 2015 after your sleep study. I could probably get him to corroborate if I need to. He's a cool doc. I don't have PTSD SC'ed yet as I'm waiting on an upcoming C&P for that. Do I wait until I have SC for PTSD or do I fire off the secondary when I have all my ducks in a row? Also no I'm not on a CPAP or anything. I don't even know if I should be.

Edited by LongTooth

Is your "Lung Dr," VA or private?

If I've got this correct, you have a Clinician Note (MH Private or VMC?) from (2 +/-) years ago discussing a possible Minor Unspecified SA DX, with no requirement of CPAP or followup treatment, right?

"Houston, we have a problem," an SA DX can't be claimed as Secondary, if it predates  a PTSD SC that has not been DX'd or Awarded yet.

You mention that a "Therapist Documented PTSD in my chart," Psychiatrist, Psychologist PhD or MH Social Worker?  Do you have a copy of the MH Clinician Treatment Notes that you could post a redacted copy of?  The Clinician never advised you to file an SC Claim for PTSD?

All my stuff is private sector at this point. I have an upcoming C&P exam to SC PTSD at some point in the near future. I bring up the secondary related stuff because up until about a week ago I didn't even know I had SA. I know people in the past have been able to secondary SA to PTSD so I asked in here. Hope this clarifies.

Ok so here we are in April. My last known contact with the VA was the letter I received informing me that my service is honorable for VA purposes. I'll post the 3 page letter in a moment. I wanted to provide a quick little update.

I got sick and tired of waiting around 6ish months now for a C&P date so I called the White House hotline and got passed off to the National VA Center. The lady I spoke to on the phone informed me that according to her system no C&P exam has as of yet been requested and that my claim was marked something like Rater Control, which she couldn't adequately explain what that was. I asked her flat out if the rater could award my claim without a C&P and after a NOD and she assured me that the Rater could in fact rate me without a C&P exam for PTSD...something sounds fishy here. Anyways here's the 3 pages I got from my Attorney these are the pages the DRO submitted from my NOD hearing in Nov 2016. The paragraph that gets me is the last one that talks about full grant of benefit sought on appeal. If one of the knowledgeable folk could chime in I'd be appreciative...

VALetterP1.jpg

VALetterP2.jpg

VALetterP3.jpg

Edited by LongTooth
dates and grammar

A full grant is one where the VA agrees with all of your contentions.  It appears that your contention is that you were mentally incapacitated when you were discharged OTH.

I read that the VA has agreed with this contention and that you are considered to have honorable service and therefore entitled to VA benefits.  This now allows you to make a claim for service connected benefits. 

You should be speaking with your lawyer about this as they will be able to fully inform you as to your next action.

So my claim appears to be "stuck" somehow. I've gotten the letter I posted above telling me I'm good to go and now I appear to have stalled in the system. My attorney is going up next week to try and figure out what's going on. If that fails I signed a form to get my Congress critter involved...yay...which my attorney is going to hold onto until needed. So basically for the last 6 months I've been cooling my heels needlessly...talk about being pissed...